This Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice recipe is healthy, easy-to-make, and super satisfying. It is great for meal prep and makes a perfect dinner recipe for a weeknight, because it is ready to eat in just 30 minutes!
You are going to adore this hearty, flavor-packed Asian-style chicken and rice recipe. It is made with one of the best food combinations ever – pineapple and coconut!
This recipe makes a complete, balanced, and nutritious meal because it includes a protein source, fiber-rich vegetables, and starch. The pineapple in the recipe also provides vitamin C and manganese, which is an element that is essential for bone formation.
Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice Ingredients
Alright, before we get to the recipe, let’s talk ingredients. To make this easy Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice recipe, you will need:
- Pineapple: They add sweet, juicy bursts of flavor to this recipe. Either fresh or canned pineapple can be used.
- Bell peppers: These go so well with pineapple and give additional nutrition to the recipe. They also add bright pops of color to the dish that make it even more visually pleasing.
- Coconut oil: This is the healthy cooking oil used to saute the ingredients in this recipe. I always use unrefined, virgin, and organic coconut oil.
- Chicken: It adds a good dose of lean protein to the dish. I like to use bite-sized pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe.
- Salt and pepper: I always like to season chicken with a bit of S&P before cooking it, just to add a bit of flavor to the meat.
- Garlic and ginger: These two ingredients are a must in Asian cooking. Always use freshly grated/minced garlic and ginger for the best flavor.
- Stock: I prefer to use chicken broth rather than water in this recipe, because using stock adds more flavor to the coconut rice.
- Coconut milk: It is added to give creaminess and rich coconut flavor to the rice. I usually use full-fat coconut milk, but you’re welcome to use low-fat if you prefer.
- Rice: I recommend using long-grain, white rice. This is because it cooks up fluffy and not sticky, with individual grains remaining distinct and firm. I find that Jasmine or Basmati rice gives the best consistency, fragrance, and flavor.
- Tamari: This adds rich umami flavor to the rice and is also naturally gluten-free.
- Sriracha: It adds a good amount of heat without overpowering the rest of the flavors in the dish.
- Green onions: These give a huge burst of freshness and also add a nice bright pop of green color.
- Crushed cashews: I also like to sprinkle some chopped cashews on top, because they add a bit of crunch. If you don’t have any on hand, any other kind of nuts can be used instead.
Click here to learn more about my favorite healthy products and resources!
How to Make Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice
This easy dish is prepared in stages so that everything gets cooked perfectly. To make this homemade Pineapple Coconut Rice with Chicken recipe, simply:
- Get your rice started: Instead of just using water, the rice is cooked in coconut milk and broth. This infuses the rice with the most amazing flavor. While the rice is simmering, you can get going on cooking up the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat up some oil in a separate pan: Make sure the oil is hot enough before adding the rest of your ingredients. A quick readiness test is to add a drop of water to the oil. If it sizzles and evaporates on contact, you are ready to start pan-frying.
- Saute the chicken: Once your oil is hot, add your chicken to the pan, season it with S&P, and then set it aside once cooked through. This is done so that the chicken stays juicy and doesn’t overcook while the rest of the ingredients are in the pan.
- Cook the veggies & aromatics: Next, stir-fry the pineapple, bell peppers, garlic, and ginger.
- Add the chicken, coconut rice, & sauces: Stir in the cooked coconut rice, chicken, tamari, and Sriracha.
- Garnish & serve: To really finish this dish off well, sprinkle some sliced green onions and crushed cashews over top, to add even more flavor and a bit of crunch. Dinner is served!
(Detailed recipe instructions and ingredient amounts included in the full recipe below.)
More Rice Dinner Recipes
Looking for more easy rice dinner inspiration? Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Rice
- Thai Coconut Curry Rice
- Healthy Chicken Fried Rice
- Easy Thai Shrimp with Rice
- Glazed Chicken and Coconut Rice
If you make this Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice (Easy 30-Minute Recipe!)
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pineapple
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons organic tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- Optional toppings: Sliced green onions, crushed cashews
- In a small saucepan set over high heat, add rice, coconut milk and broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the rice is simmering, heat one tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan or skillet set over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken and season it liberally with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the bell peppers and pineapple. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the cooked chicken, coconut rice, tamari and Sriracha to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with optional toppings, if using, and serve.
- If possible, I recommend using organic chicken in this recipe for maximum health benefits.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Oooh, you had me at pineapple! I love these quick and easy recipes – thanks! It looks so yummy!
Hi Laura! Aww thanks so much! It’s one of my favorite recipes on the blog! I hope you have a great week!! 🙂
Lovely presentation and great flavor combinations going on in this recipe. I am tempted to add some tropical flavors in my rice too.Thanks for an awesome post.
Thanks so much Neha! ♥ You’re welcome, I hope you’re having a great week!
Ashika | Gardening Foodie says
This looks so beautiful Alia, I love the combination of ingredients in this recipe and it is so quick to prepare…even better.
Thanks so much Ashika!! ♥
Pineapple, coconut and cashews! My favorite ingredients together in this fried rice recipe! I really need to try this soon! I can imagine how delicious these turn out!
Oh I didn’t know those were your favorite ingredients! In that case, you should definitely make this recipe sometime! I think you will be very happy with it! 🙂
Ruby & Cake says
I love pineapple fried rice but this looks waaaay better than any I have ever had. You are making me so hungry!!! The colours in your photographs are just stunning
Hi Ruby! Haha aww, thanks so much! ♥ If you love pineapple fried rice, then I am sure you will like this recipe!
Katherine | Love In My Oven says
Rice cooked in coconut milk is THE BEST right?! Your flavours are so bang-on here!! Pineapple and coconut are so good together. I will totally be trying this ASAP!! Cheers!
It is! Thanks girl!! ♥ I agree – pineapple and coconut are tropical besties! You should definitely try this sometime!! 🙂
I’m always on the lookout for healthy and quick weeknight meals! I’ve never tried cooking my rice in coconut milk so I’m excited to try it! This recipe is right up my alley, Pinning!!!
Hey Christina! This one is a favorite at my house, so I’m sure you will like it! Oh rice cooked in coconut milk is delicioso! 🙂 Thanks for pinning!!
Interesting mix of ingredients especially that of pineapple, coconut and cashews. Good use of coconut oil to bring out the flavor as well. Looks really delicious and filling. Real meal in a bowl!
Hi Andre! Thank you so much! 🙂 Hope you have a great weekend!
Tijuana Helms says
This is the best meal we have ever had and we cook all the time. The food was much better than the pictures made it look. The rice and coconut milk with the chicken broth was amazing and pretty. Are the leftovers good ? We don’t want to throw any out.
Hi Tijuana! Oh my gosh you’re so sweet, that makes me so happy! This is seriously one of my absolute favorite recipes on the blog, so I am so glad you liked it too! And yes, leftovers store great in the fridge for up to five days. 🙂
Janet Cook says
Delicious!! Such a great combination of flavors. I prepared it mostly according to the instructions, but I did not drain the canned pineapple chunks in pineapple juice – just added the entire contents of the can, and I used yellow and orange bell peppers. Everyone in my household liked it. This recipe is a winner!!!
Hi Janet! Thank you so much! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe. It’s one of my favorite creations, so that makes me super happy!
Sabrina Stevens says
Ridiculously good!! Thanks!!
Aww thanks Sabrina! And you’re very welcome!
Hi Alia, please clarify the rato of liquid to rice. Is this right: 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of liquid ( coconut milk and broth)?
Hi Sally, yes that is correct – 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of liquid. 🙂