This Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice recipe is healthy, easy-to-make, and super satisfying. It is great for meal prep and makes a perfect dinner recipe for a weeknight, because it is ready to eat in just 30 minutes! Learn how to make homemade Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice with this quick and simple recipe.
You are going to adore this hearty, flavor-packed Asian-style chicken and rice recipe. It includes lots of fresh vegetables, chicken, and is made with one of the best food combinations ever – pineapple and coconut!
This recipe is a complete, balanced, and nutritious meal because it includes a protein source, vegetables, and starch. The pineapple in the recipe also provides vitamin C and manganese, which is an element that is essential for bone formation.
Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice Ingredients
Alright, before we get to the recipe, let’s talk ingredients. To make this easy Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice recipe, you will need:
- Pineapple: They add sweet, juicy bursts of flavor to this recipe. Either fresh or canned pineapple can be used.
- Bell peppers: These go so well with pineapple and give additional nutrition to the recipe. They also add bright pops of color to the dish that make it even more visually pleasing.
- Vegetable oil: I like to use vegetable oil because it has neutral flavor and a high smoke point, which is important because we will be using it to cook the chicken at medium-high heat.
- Chicken: It adds a good dose of protein to the dish. I like to use bite-sized pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe.
- Salt and pepper: I always like to season chicken with a bit of S&P before cooking it, just to add a bit of flavor to the meat.
- Garlic and ginger: These two ingredients are a must in Asian cooking. Always use freshly grated/minced garlic and ginger for the best flavor.
- Stock: I prefer to use chicken broth rather than water in this recipe, because using stock adds more flavor to the coconut rice.
- Coconut milk: It is added to give creaminess and rich coconut flavor to the rice. I usually use full-fat coconut milk, but you’re welcome to use low-fat if you prefer.
- Rice: I recommend using long-grain, white rice, because it cooks up fluffy and not sticky, with individual grains remaining distinct and firm. I find that Jasmine or Basmati rice gives the best consistency, fragrance, and flavor.
- Soy sauce: I created this recipe using traditional soy sauce, but you can use tamari if you want this recipe to be entirely gluten-free.
- Sriracha: It adds a good amount of heat without overpowering the rest of the flavors in the dish.
- Green onions: These give a huge burst of freshness and also add a nice bright pop of green color.
- Crushed cashews: I also like to sprinkle some chopped cashews on top, because they add a bit of crunch. If you don’t have any on hand, any other kind of nuts can be used instead.
How to Make Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice
This easy dish is prepared in stages so that everything gets cooked perfectly. To make this homemade Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice recipe, simply:
- Get your rice started: Instead of just using water, the rice is cooked in coconut milk and broth, which infuses it with the most amazing flavor. While the rice is simmering, you can get going on cooking up the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat up some oil in a separate pan: Make sure the oil is hot enough before adding the rest of your ingredients. A quick readiness test is to add a drop of water to the oil. If it sizzles and evaporates on contact, you are ready to start stir-frying.
- Saute the chicken: Once your oil is hot, add your chicken to the pan, season it with S&P, and then set it aside once cooked through. This is done so that the chicken stays juicy and doesn’t overcook while the rest of the ingredients are in the pan.
- Cook the veggies & aromatics: Next, stir-fry the pineapple, bell peppers, garlic, and ginger.
- Add the chicken, coconut rice, & sauces: Stir in the cooked coconut rice, chicken, soy sauce, and Sriracha.
- Garnish & serve: To really finish this dish off well, sprinkle some sliced green onions and crushed cashews over top, to add even more flavor and a bit of crunch. Dinner is served!
(Detailed recipe instructions and ingredient amounts included in the full recipe below.)
More Rice Dinner Recipes to Try
Looking for more tasty rice dinner inspiration? Here are some of my favorite recipes on the blog:
- Cajun Shrimp and Rice
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Thai Coconut Curry Rice
- Chinese Chicken Fried Rice
- Thai Spicy Shrimp and Rice
For this Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice Recipe, I recommend:
Here are some tools that will make prepping the ingredients in this recipe an absolute breeze:
- Ultra Chef Express Food Chopper – This is the one I have and it is one of my most-used kitchen tools. I use mine all the time to quickly chop up vegetables.
- OXO Stainless Steel Scraper – I purchased a bench scraper after seeing them being used on my favorite cooking shows. It is SUCH a handy tool for scraping up and transferring chopped food from the cutting board into the pan.
- Cuisinart Classic Skillet with Cover – This one is a kitchen essential. The quality is excellent and it is nonstick, which means clean-up is a breeze!
If you make this Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pineapple
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- Optional toppings: Sliced green onions, crushed cashews
- In a small saucepan set over high heat, add rice, coconut milk and vegetable broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the rice is simmering, heat the oil in a large frying pan or skillet set over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken and season it liberally with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the bell peppers and pineapple. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the cooked chicken, coconut rice, soy sauce, and Sriracha to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with optional toppings, if using, and serve.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!