This Pineapple Coconut Rice with Chicken recipe is healthy, easy-to-make, and super satisfying. It is great for meal prep and makes a perfect dinner recipe for a weeknight, because it is ready to eat in just 30 minutes! Learn how to make homemade pineapple coconut rice with this quick and simple gluten-free recipe.
You are going to adore this hearty, flavor-packed Asian-style chicken and rice recipe. It includes lots of fresh vegetables, chicken, and is made with one of the best food combinations ever – pineapple and coconut!
This recipe is a complete, balanced, and nutritious meal because it includes a protein source, vegetables, and starch. The pineapple in the recipe also provides vitamin C and manganese, which is an element that is essential for bone formation.
Pineapple Coconut Rice with Chicken Ingredients
Alright, before we get to the recipe, let’s talk ingredients. To make this easy Pineapple Coconut Rice with Chicken recipe, you will need:
- Pineapple: They add sweet, juicy bursts of flavor to this recipe. Either fresh or canned pineapple can be used.
- Bell peppers: These go so well with pineapple and give additional nutrition to the recipe. They also add bright pops of color to the dish that make it even more visually pleasing.
- Coconut oil: I always use unrefined, virgin, and organic coconut oil.
- Chicken: It adds a good dose of protein to the dish. I like to use bite-sized pieces of boneless, skinless chicken breasts in this recipe.
- Salt and pepper: I always like to season chicken with a bit of S&P before cooking it, just to add a bit of flavor to the meat.
- Garlic and ginger: These two ingredients are a must in Asian cooking. Always use freshly grated/minced garlic and ginger for the best flavor.
- Stock: I prefer to use chicken broth rather than water in this recipe, because using stock adds more flavor to the coconut rice.
- Coconut milk: It is added to give creaminess and rich coconut flavor to the rice. I usually use full-fat coconut milk, but you’re welcome to use low-fat if you prefer.
- Rice: I recommend using long-grain, white rice, because it cooks up fluffy and not sticky, with individual grains remaining distinct and firm. I find that Jasmine or Basmati rice gives the best consistency, fragrance, and flavor.
- Tamari: This adds rich umami flavor to the rice and is also naturally gluten-free.
- Sriracha: It adds a good amount of heat without overpowering the rest of the flavors in the dish.
- Green onions: These give a huge burst of freshness and also add a nice bright pop of green color.
- Crushed cashews: I also like to sprinkle some chopped cashews on top, because they add a bit of crunch. If you don’t have any on hand, any other kind of nuts can be used instead.
How to Make Pineapple Coconut Rice with Chicken
This easy dish is prepared in stages so that everything gets cooked perfectly. To make this homemade Pineapple Coconut Rice with Chicken recipe, simply:
- Get your rice started: Instead of just using water, the rice is cooked in coconut milk and broth, which infuses it with the most amazing flavor. While the rice is simmering, you can get going on cooking up the rest of the ingredients.
- Heat up some oil in a separate pan: Make sure the oil is hot enough before adding the rest of your ingredients. A quick readiness test is to add a drop of water to the oil. If it sizzles and evaporates on contact, you are ready to start pan-frying.
- Saute the chicken: Once your oil is hot, add your chicken to the pan, season it with S&P, and then set it aside once cooked through. This is done so that the chicken stays juicy and doesn’t overcook while the rest of the ingredients are in the pan.
- Cook the veggies & aromatics: Next, stir-fry the pineapple, bell peppers, garlic, and ginger.
- Add the chicken, coconut rice, & sauces: Stir in the cooked coconut rice, chicken, tamari, and Sriracha.
- Garnish & serve: To really finish this dish off well, sprinkle some sliced green onions and crushed cashews over top, to add even more flavor and a bit of crunch. Dinner is served!
(Detailed recipe instructions and ingredient amounts included in the full recipe below.)
More Rice Dinner Recipes to Try
Looking for more tasty rice dinner inspiration? Here are some of my favorite recipes on the blog:
- One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Rice
- Easy Chicken and Rice Soup
- Thai Vegetable Rice
- Chinese Chicken Fried Rice
- Easy Thai Shrimp with Rice
For this Pineapple Coconut Rice with Chicken Recipe, I recommend:
Here are some tools that will make prepping the ingredients in this recipe an absolute breeze:
- Ultra Chef Express Food Chopper – This is the one I have and it is one of my most-used kitchen tools. I use mine all the time to quickly chop up vegetables.
- OXO Stainless Steel Scraper – I purchased a bench scraper after seeing them being used on my favorite cooking shows. It is SUCH a handy tool for scraping up and transferring chopped food from the cutting board into the pan.
- Cuisinart Classic Skillet with Cover – This one is a kitchen essential. The quality is excellent and it is nonstick, which means clean-up is a breeze!
If you make this Pineapple Coconut Rice with Chicken recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Finally, don’t forget to sign up for my email list: You will get my eCookbook, plus brand-new recipes and exclusive offers, delivered straight to your inbox for FREE! Click here to join the Everyday Easy Eats community!
Pineapple Coconut Rice with Chicken
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pineapple
- 1 orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons organic tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- Optional toppings: Sliced green onions, crushed cashews
- In a small saucepan set over high heat, add rice, coconut milk and broth.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the rice is simmering, heat one tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan or skillet set over medium heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chicken and season it liberally with salt and pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set it aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining tablespoon of oil. Add the bell peppers and pineapple. Cook for 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Add the cooked chicken, coconut rice, tamari and Sriracha to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with optional toppings, if using, and serve.
- If possible, I recommend using organic chicken in this recipe for maximum health benefits.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.