This healthy Vanilla Protein Shake recipe is made with clean, nourishing ingredients like natural protein powder, pure vanilla extract, banana, milk, and honey. It makes an ideal post-workout shake or breakfast smoothie, because it is refined sugar-free and is so easy to make. Learn how to make a homemade protein shake with this fast and effortless recipe!
You are going to love this vanilla protein smoothie recipe, because it is packed with nutritious ingredients and is so simple to make. It makes a protein-rich breakfast that will jump-start your day and will keep you feeling satiated all morning. It is also an ideal post-workout shake that will refuel your energy and help your muscles to heal after exercising.
Vanilla Protein Shake Ingredients
Before we get to the recipe, let’s discuss ingredients. To make this vanilla protein smoothie, you will need:
- Protein Powder: This majorly boosts the protein content of your smoothie. If you can, use a natural protein powder that contains no additives, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, or preservatives. I use this one from Thrive Market.
- Milk: This serves as the liquid base for the smoothie. I usually use low-fat dairy milk.
- Vanilla extract: This infuses the smoothie with warm, sweet vanilla flavor. Make sure you use the real, natural stuff (preferably organic) and not anything artificial.
- Banana: This gives your smoothie a rich and creamy consistency. It is also a great source of potassium and dietary fiber.
- Honey: This adds natural and unrefined sweetness. Not all packaged honey is created equal, so I recommend using one that is 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered for optimal health benefits. I use this one from Thrive Market.
- Ice: This helps thicken the shake. Although, if I don’t have any ice in the freezer, I just make my protein shake without it.
How to Make a Vanilla Protein Shake
This recipe could not be easier. To make this homemade vanilla protein shake recipe, simply:
- Add all of the ingredients – milk, banana, ice, honey, vanilla extract, and protein powder – to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
Pro Tip: When adding your ingredients to your blender, always add the liquid (in this case, the milk) first near the blades. Doing this will help your blender to run a bit more smoothly whenever you are making a shake.
Possible Recipe Variations
This homemade protein shake recipe is very flexible with regards to variations. For example, feel free to…
- Swap in non-dairy milk: I generally use dairy milk when making shakes, but you can use any kind of milk you like. Unsweetened almond, coconut, soy, hemp, oat, or any other type of plant-based milk are all fabulous options.
- Add some spice: A dash of cinnamon or nutmeg taste delicious in smoothies.
- Use a different sweetener: Instead of honey, you can substitute another natural and unrefined sweetener, such as maple syrup or agave nectar. Alternatively, you can throw in one or two pitted dates instead of a liquid sweetener.
- Stir in some collagen: Adding collagen peptides to shakes and smoothies boosts their protein content even further. Collagen is also known to improve the condition of skin, hair, nails, joints, ligaments, and is great for gut health. I recommend using one that is all-natural, unflavored, and unsweetened. I use this one from Thrive Market.
Those are just a few suggestions, so feel free to experiment with whatever ingredient swaps or additions that sound good to you. 🙂
More Protein Shake Recipes to Try
Looking for more protein shake inspiration? Here are some of my favorite recipes on the blog:
- Banana Protein Shake
- How to Make a Healthy Homemade Protein Shake
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake
- Green Protein Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake
Should You Drink a Protein Shake Before or After a Workout?
A number of studies show that protein helps your muscles to repair and rebuild after exercise. For that reason, many people drink protein shakes after their workouts to aid this process.
However, recent research suggests the amount of protein you consume per day is more important than when you consume it for gaining muscle mass. Therefore, you can choose which time you prefer or is most convenient for you. Personally, I always opt to have a protein shake after hitting the gym, but that’s just what works for me.
Are Protein Shakes Good for Weight Loss?
Absolutely! As long as protein shakes are made with clean, junk-free ingredients, they are superb for weight loss. Protein shakes are a rich source of protein (hence the name), which is an important nutrient for weight loss.
Getting enough protein in your diet boosts your metabolism, reduces your appetite, and helps you lose body fat without losing muscle.
The Easiest Way to Make Protein Shakes
If having a morning smoothie or protein shake is a part of your regular breakfast routine, I highly recommend checking out SmoothieBox. SmoothieBox is a monthly smoothie kit delivery service that is organic, nutrient-dense and free of added sugars.
SmoothieBox’s Super Smoothies were created to save time, simplify the morning, and make breakfast easy and nutritious. They are packed with the balanced macronutrients you need to fuel your busy day and will keep you feeling full and energetic for hours.
Each box comes with 20 smoothie packs that are filled with frozen fruits and vegetables, nuts, and optional grass-fed collagen protein powder. Each shake is ready in less than 3 minutes and tastes absolutely delicious! The cost is less than $2.50 per serving and delivery is FREE.
Your SmoothieBox should arrive within a week after you place your order (in a 100% recyclable cooler) and you can cancel your subscription at any time. AND FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY:
- SmoothieBox is offering a one-time box, instead of only subscriptions. You may choose during checkout if you wish to have a monthly subscription or a one-time order.
- You will get FREE SHIPPING on any order.
- You can customize your box with only the flavors you want easily during checkout.
- The price of collagen protein powder has been dropped by 50% to just $1/packet of collagen.
- My readers will get an additional discount on their order using the link and code below.
If you make this Vanilla Protein Shake recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Vanilla Protein Shake
- Add all ingredients to a blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and serve.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.