This Thai Shrimp and Rice recipe is spicy, hearty, and makes a perfect weeknight dinner! It is super easy to make and is bursting with fragrant Thai curry flavor. A one-pot meal that is ready to eat in just 30 minutes!
The basic elements of this satisfying, Thai-style dish are succulent shrimp, vegetables and rice. The heat in the recipe comes from Thai red curry paste, which gets toned down a bit by coconut milk and lime juice. All of the ingredients get cooked together in one pot, which means minimal cleanup is required to prepare this quick, easy-to-make meal.
More Thai Dinner Recipes to Try
How to Make Thai Shrimp and Rice
This recipe is prepared in stages, so that everything gets cooked perfectly. Start by sauteing some carrots and bell pepper in a bit of coconut oil. Next, add the garlic, ginger and Thai red curry paste. Gently cook the mixture, to release the curry’s aromas.
Stir in the broth, coconut milk and rice and allow everything to simmer, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Then, add the shrimp into the pot and leave it to cook for a few minutes until it is pink, curled and opaque.
Once everything is done cooking, squeeze some lime juice over the rice, to balance out the heat from the curry paste. To add a burst of freshness and a pop of color, sprinkle some fresh chopped cilantro over the dish when you are ready to serve.
For this Thai Shrimp and Rice recipe, I recommend:
- Mae Ploy Red Curry Paste – This is one I use and love! It gives amazing, authentic flavor to Thai dishes and adds the perfect amount of heat.
- Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk – I love the taste and consistency of this brand. It adds so much body and richness to soups and curries.
- Zulay Citrus Juicer – If you cook with a lot of citrus, a sturdy juicer is a must. This one works for both lemons and limes and will squeeze out every last drop of juice like a pro. Worth every penny.
If you make this Thai Shrimp and Rice recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
Thai Shrimp and Rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 carrots thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro for garnishing
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrots and bell pepper and sauté for 4 - 5 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry paste and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the broth, coconut milk and rice. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10 - 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is almost cooked through.
- Stir in the shrimp. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes until shrimp is pink and opaque. Stir in the lime juice, sprinkle with cilantro and serve.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!