This spicy Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp and Rice recipe makes a perfect weeknight dinner. It is an easy-to-make, one-pot meal that is ready to eat in just 30 minutes! Learn how to make homemade spicy shrimp and rice with this quick and simple recipe.
You are going to love this easy-to-make Thai Shrimp and Rice recipe, because it is absolutely bursting with amazing Thai coconut curry flavor. The basic elements of this satisfying, Thai-style dish are succulent shrimp, vegetables, and rice.
The heat in the recipe comes from Thai red curry paste, which gets toned down a bit by coconut milk and lime juice. All of the ingredients get cooked together in one pot, which means minimal cleanup is required to prepare this quick and easy meal.
Thai Shrimp and Rice Ingredients
Before we get to the recipe, let’s discuss ingredients. To make this easy Thai Shrimp and Rice recipe, you will need:
- Coconut oil: I always use unrefined, virgin, and organic coconut oil.
- Carrots and bell peppers: This is the combination of vegetables I like to use when making this recipe, but feel free to use whatever veggies you love best in a Thai curry.
- Garlic and ginger: These two ingredients are a must in Asian cooking. Always use freshly grated/minced garlic and ginger for the best flavor.
- Red curry paste: This is used to add intense curry flavor and heat to the recipe in one step. Different brands of curry paste can vary significantly in terms of spiciness and flavor. See below for my top choices.
- Stock: I prefer to use vegetable or chicken broth rather than water in this recipe, because using stock adds more flavor to the dish.
- Coconut milk: It is added to give creaminess and also tone down the heat from the curry paste. I usually use full-fat coconut milk, but you’re welcome to use low-fat if you prefer.
- Rice: I recommend using long-grain, white rice, because it cooks up fluffy and not sticky, with individual grains remaining distinct and firm. I find that Jasmine or Basmati rice gives the best consistency, fragrance, and flavor.
- Shrimp: It adds a good dose of protein to the dish. I love using shrimp in recipes like this, because it only takes a few minutes to cook.
- Lime juice: A good squeeze of citrus balances and brightens all the flavors in this recipe. Make sure you always add lime at the very end of cooking, so that you don’t kill the flavor.
- Chopped fresh cilantro: This gives a huge burst of freshness and also add a nice bright pop of color.
How to Make Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp and Rice
This recipe is prepared in stages, so that everything gets cooked perfectly. Full instructions are included in the recipe below. But as a brief overview, to make this Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp and Rice recipe, simply:
- Saute the veggies: Start by cooking some carrots and bell pepper in a bit of coconut oil.
- Cook the aromatics: Next, add the garlic, ginger and Thai red curry paste. Gently cook the mixture, to release the curry’s aromas.
- Stir in the liquids and rice: Add the broth, coconut milk, and rice and allow everything to simmer, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the shrimp: Then, add the shrimp into the pot and leave it to cook for a few minutes until it is pink, curled and opaque.
- Add lime: Once everything is done cooking, squeeze some lime juice over the rice, to balance out the heat from the curry paste.
- Garnish and serve: To add a burst of freshness and a pop of color, sprinkle some fresh chopped cilantro over the dish when you are ready to serve.
More Thai Dinner Recipes to Try
Looking for more easy Thai-style recipes? Here are a few of my faves!
- Thai Noodle Salad
- Coconut Curry Pumpkin Soup
- Thai Coconut Curry Rice
- Spicy Shrimp Noodle Soup
- Thai Curry Chicken and Rice
For this Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp and Rice recipe, I recommend:
Here are a few items that I love and use whenever I cook this dish:
- Mae Ploy Red Curry Paste – It gives amazing, authentic flavor to Thai dishes and adds the perfect amount of heat.
- Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk – I adore the taste and consistency of this brand. It adds so much body and richness to soups and curries.
- Zulay Citrus Juicer – If you cook with a lot of citrus, a sturdy juicer is a must. This one works for both lemons and limes and will squeeze out every last drop of juice like a pro. Worth every penny.
If you make this Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp and Rice recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Thai Coconut Curry Shrimp and Rice
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 carrots, thinly sliced into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups uncooked white rice
- 1 pound wild-caught shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Chopped fresh cilantro, for garnishing
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the carrots and bell pepper and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and curry paste and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the broth, coconut milk and rice. Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is almost cooked through.
- Stir in the shrimp. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes until shrimp is pink and opaque.
- Stir in the lime juice, sprinkle with cilantro and serve warm.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.