This Thai Spicy Pumpkin Soup recipe is bursting with Thai coconut curry flavor. It makes a luxuriously creamy and comforting soup that is naturally keto, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free.
You are going to love this Thai Spicy Pumpkin Soup recipe, because it is full of complex and bold flavors, but is so simple to make.
In this recipe, pumpkin puree injects the soup with rich pumpkin flavor. Thai red curry paste is used to add heat, but gets toned down by the creamy sweetness of coconut milk. A splash of lime juice balances and brightens all the flavors in the soup.
This pumpkin soup is an ideal meal prep or make-ahead recipe, so you could make a big batch of it on a Sunday to have on hand for the coming week. It tastes even better the next day, because the flavors have more time to mingle and develop. You can serve it on its own or pair it with a simple side salad and a slice of French bread for the perfect cold weather meal.
How to Make Thai Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- Make the flavor base: Sauté the onions in a bit of coconut oil. Then add the garlic, ginger and curry paste.
- Add the pumpkin & liquids: Stir in the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, and broth and simmer.
- Blend: Use an immersion or a traditional blender to puree the soup until smooth.
- Add lime, season, & garnish: Stir in your lime juice. Taste, then season with salt and pepper, and garnish if desired.
This soup has a silky texture because all of the ingredients get blended together until smooth. I prefer to use an immersion blender to puree the soup, but you can use a regular/traditional blender instead.
Important: Be sure to use these two safety precautions when using a traditional blender to blend hot liquids:
- Blend the hot liquid in batches and only fill the blender up until it is halfway full. Any more than that can cause a serious accident.
- Before you start blending, remove the center insert in the lid of your blender. Then, place your hand over top the lid with a dish towel and keep most of the hole covered. This is done to allow the hot steam to escape and prevent any splashes while the blender is running.
More Healthy Soup Recipes to Try
For this Thai Spicy Pumpkin Soup recipe, I recommend:
- Mae Ploy Red Curry Paste – This is one I use and love! It gives amazing, authentic flavor to Thai dishes and adds the perfect amount of heat.
- Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk – I love the taste and consistency of this brand. It adds so much body and richness to soups and curries.
- KitchenAid Hand Blender – This is the one I use and love! I have had mine for years and it is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I use it all the time to make soups, dips and smoothies.
Important: If you are vegan, be sure to use a brand of Thai Red Curry Paste that is vegan. The one I use is not, but this red curry paste is vegan and is also very good.
If you make this Thai Spicy Pumpkin Soup recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
Thai Spicy Pumpkin Soup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional garnishes: Fresh chopped cilantro and Thai red chilies
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, ginger and curry paste and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the pumpkin purée, broth and coconut milk. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Alternatively, transfer to a traditional blender and puree in batches until smooth.
- Stir in lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, topped with optional garnishes, if using.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!