This Indian Coconut Lentil Curry recipe is naturally vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free. It is perfect for busy weeknights, because it is hearty, healthy, and ready to eat in just 30 minutes. Learn how to make homemade coconut lentil curry with this quick and easy recipe that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
Coconut Lentil Curry: An Easy Indian Dinner
You are going to love this creamy vegetarian curry made with canned lentils, coconut milk, and fresh spinach. It is packed with plant-based protein and is so unbelievably simple to make. Perhaps best of all, you probably already have most of the ingredients in your pantry!
Usually when you read Indian curry recipes, they include a large number of spices in the ingredient list that many people don’t readily have on hand. So, I developed a recipe that uses curry powder, which contains a variety of fragrant Indian spices that have been ground up and mixed together in one handy package. Only a small amount of curry powder is used in this recipe. That way the lentil curry has just the slightest hint of warm Indian spices, without overpowering the rest of the flavors in the dish.
This nutritious Indian Coconut Lentil Curry is an ideal weeknight dinner recipe, because it delivers maximum flavor in minimal time. Serve it with cooked basmati rice or warm naan bread for a balanced, satiating meal.
This recipe would be great for entertaining or taking along to a potluck. Since it is naturally vegan, plant-based, and gluten-free, it is suitable for many people following special diets. It is also perfect for meal prepping, so feel free to make a batch ahead of time to have on hand for the coming week.
Don’t miss out! Click here to get exclusive discounts on my favorite healthy products and resources!
How to Make Coconut Lentil Curry
This lentil curry with coconut milk is one of those recipes that tastes like you’ve simmered it gently for hours. Fortunately, it takes less time to make than your favorite Indian restaurant takes to deliver. Here’s how you’re going to get curry in a hurry:
- Make the flavor base: Cook the onion, garlic, ginger, and curry powder in a bit of coconut oil until fragrant.
- Pour in the liquids: Add the crushed tomatoes and coconut milk, then simmer.
- Stir in the lentils and spinach: Season the curry sauce with S&P to taste, then add in the lentils and spinach.
- Serve: Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired, then serve with rice and/or naan bread.
That’s it! This is truly an easy Indian curry recipe that is absolutely bursting with flavor. See the full recipe below for detailed ingredient amounts and complete recipe instructions/directions.
Possible Recipe Variations
This coconut lentil curry recipe is very flexible with regards to variations. For example, feel free to…
- Add a bit of heat: To give the curry a more piquant flavor, you can add in a few pinches of cayenne powder or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Use different greens: Kale or collard greens would also be delicious in place of the spinach.
- Add more seasoning: For a more intense curry flavor, you can increase the amount of curry powder to your liking or add in some garam masala.
- Add extra vegetables: Feel free to toss in any other mild curry-friendly veggies that you have on hand, such as bell peppers, zucchini, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, or peas.
Those are just a few suggestions, so feel free to experiment with whatever ingredient swaps or additions that sound good to you. 🙂
Can You Freeze Lentil Curry?
Yes, this coconut lentil curry freezes beautifully. I recommend separating a batch/leftovers into smaller portions in freezer-safe containers and placing the containers in the freezer. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator or out on the counter for quick dinners during extra-busy weeknights.
More Indian Curry Recipes
Craving more spicy, exotic cuisine? Here are some of my favorite curry recipes:
- Chicken Curry with Coconut Milk
- Indian Yellow Lentil Dal
- The Easiest Butter Chicken Recipe
- Creamy Coconut Chickpea Curry
- Chicken Curry in a Hurry
For this Indian Lentil Curry recipe, I recommend:
Here are a some pantry staples that I suggest using to ensure this coconut lentil curry recipe turns out perfect. All of these ingredients can be ordered online from Thrive Market, which is an online retailer that sells healthy, organic food at wholesale prices. I like to think of it like Amazon (online marketplace) meets Costco (wholesale prices) meets Whole Foods (all wholesome, junk-free foods).
- Thrive Market Curry Powder – This is the curry powder I use! The quality is excellent and it gives a rich, fragrant, and well-rounded flavor to soups and curries.
- Organic Coconut Milk – I love the richness and consistency of this full-fat coconut milk. It adds so much body and richness to curries and soups.
- Nutiva Coconut Oil – I always use this unrefined, virgin, and organic coconut oil for optimal flavor and health benefits.
If you’re interested in purchasing any of the above items, you’ll need to get a Thrive Market membership. However, if you’re a reader of my website, you will get an exclusive bonus when you sign up:
Click here to get a FREE gift, up to $22 value, when you purchase a 1-month or 1-year risk-free Thrive Market membership!
If you make this easy Indian Coconut Lentil Curry recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Indian Coconut Lentil Curry (Quick & Easy Vegan Recipe!)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (15-ounce) can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped packed fresh spinach
- Optional garnish: Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 4 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and curry powder and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes and coconut milk. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Add the lentils. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in the spinach and cook for about 3 minutes, until wilted. Serve warm, garnished with cilantro if using.
- Serve your coconut lentil curry with rice or naan for a satisfying meal.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for about a week or can be frozen for up to three months.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
So glad to find you and your beautiful posts ! Pinned ! Take care 🙂
Aww thanks so much!! And thanks for pinning! 🙂