This One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Rice recipe is spicy, satisfying and so easy-to-make. It makes a perfect weeknight dinner, because it is ready to eat in just 30 minutes. Learn how to make southern shrimp and rice with this quick and simple skillet dinner recipe.
You are going to love this hearty, Louisiana-style dish made with succulent shrimp, vegetables and rice. It is perfectly seasoned and bursting with piquant Cajun flavor, but is so simple to make. Best of all, everything gets cooked together in one pan. That means minimal cleanup is required to prepare this quick and tasty meal. ♡
How to Make Cajun Shrimp and Rice
Full instructions are included in the recipe below. But as a brief overview, to make this easy Cajun shrimp and rice recipe, simply:
- Cook the veggies: Sauté a vegetable medley of chopped onion, celery and bell pepper in a bit of olive oil and butter. These three vegetables are collectively known as “the holy trinity of Cajun cuisine”, as they provide the flavor base for the dish.
- Add the spices: Next, stir in a blend of Cajun spices and lightly cook them until fragrant. Gently cooking the spices allows them to bloom and release their aromas.
- Stir in the rice & broth: Add the rice and broth. Leave everything alone to cook, until most of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Add the shrimp & lemon juice: Add the shrimp to the pot and allow it to cook for a few minutes until it is pink, curled and opaque. Finally, give your rice a good squeeze of lemon for a bit of brightness and balance out the heat from the Cajun seasoning. Dinner is served! 🙂
How easy is that?! This is truly a fast and simple Creole-style dinner recipe that is absolutely bursting with flavor.
Where to Buy High-Quality Shrimp
If you wondering where you can get the best shrimp, I recommend an incredible online seafood retailer: Vital Choice.
Vital Choice sells wild-caught, sustainably-harvested frozen and canned seafood from Alaska and the Northwest Pacific. You will find some of the best seafood money can buy, and they have an outstanding mail order system. The owners and executive staff at Vital Choice have decades of experience as professional fishermen. Their seafood is certified sustainable either by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), the State of Alaska or Monterey Bay Aquarium’s SeafoodWatch program.
Vital Choice seafood is flash frozen at sea and shipped on dry ice to your home. And if you’re not satisfied for any reason, they will replace your product or refund your money. If you are having a hard time finding clean, sustainable shrimp near you – or if you want to skip the shopping AND get top-quality seafood delivered right to your door while you’re at it – then you have to try Vital Choice.
More Rice Dinner Recipes to Try
Looking for more rice dinner inspiration? Here are a some of my favorite recipes on the blog:
- Thai Curry Shrimp and Rice
- Chicken and Rice Soup
- Pineapple Chicken Coconut Rice
- Chinese Fried Rice
- One-Pot Cajun Chicken and Rice
For this Cajun Shrimp and Rice recipe, I recommend:
Here are some tools that will make prepping the ingredients for this skillet shrimp and rice recipe an absolute breeze:
- Ultra Chef Express Food Chopper – This is the one I have and it is one of my most-used kitchen tools. I use mine all the time to quickly chop up vegetables. I especially love using it to dice onions, because it saves me from all the tears!
- OXO Stainless Steel Scraper – I purchased a bench scraper after seeing them being used on my favorite cooking shows. It is SUCH a handy tool for scraping up and transferring chopped food from the cutting board into the pan.
If you make this One-Pan Cajun Shrimp and Rice recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a medium pot or skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat the oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and bell pepper. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in rice and broth. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is almost cooked through.
- Stir in the shrimp. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes until shrimp is pink and opaque. Stir in the lemon juice and serve.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.