This One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Rice recipe is spicy, satisfying and perfect for busy weeknights! Ready to eat in just 30 minutes.
You are going to love this hearty, Louisiana-style dish made with succulent shrimp, vegetables and rice. It is perfectly seasoned and bursting with piquant Cajun flavor, but is so simple to make.
Best of all, everything gets cooked together in one pot. That means minimal cleanup is required to prepare this quick, flavor-packed meal. ♡
How to Make One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Rice
The recipe begins by sautéing a vegetable medley of chopped onion, celery and bell pepper, also known as “the holy trinity of Cajun cuisine”, which provides the flavor base for the dish.
Next, a blend of Cajun spices is added and lightly cooked until fragrant. Rice and a bit of broth are stirred in and left to cook until all the liquid is absorbed.
Then, shrimp is added into the pot and allowed to cook for a few minutes until it is pink, curled and opaque. A final squeeze of lemon adds a bit of brightness and helps balance out the heat from the Cajun seasoning. Dinner is served! 🙂
Where to Buy High-Quality Shrimp
I recommend an incredible online seafood retailer that I LOVE: Vital Choice.
Vital Choice sells wild-caught, sustainably-harvested frozen and canned seafood from Alaska and the Northwest Pacific. You will find some of the best seafood money can buy, and they have an outstanding mail order system.
The owners and executive staff at Vital Choice have decades of experience as professional fishermen. Their seafood is certified sustainable either by the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC), the State of Alaska or Monterey Bay Aquarium’s SeafoodWatch program.
Vital Choice seafood is flash frozen at sea and shipped on dry ice to your home. And if you’re not satisfied for any reason, they will replace your product or refund your money.
To learn more about Vital Choice, check out this two-minute video:
If you are having a hard time finding clean, sustainable shrimp near you – or if you want to skip the shopping AND get top-quality seafood delivered right to your door while you’re at it – then you have to try Vital Choice.
For this One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Rice Recipe, I recommend:
- Food Chopper – This is the one I have and it is one of my most-used kitchen tools. I use mine all the time to quickly chop up vegetables. I especially love using it to dice onions, because it saves me from all the tears!
- Bench Scraper – I purchased a bench scraper after seeing them being used on my favorite cooking shows. It is SUCH a handy tool for scraping up and transferring chopped food from the cutting board into the pan.
If you make this One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Rice recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
One-Pot Cajun Shrimp and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a medium pot, heat oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and bell pepper. Sauté for 4 - 5 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in rice and broth. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for about 10 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and the rice is almost cooked through.
- Stir in the shrimp. Cover and cook for about 5 minutes until shrimp is pink and opaque. Stir in the lemon juice and serve.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!