This Hummus Without Tahini recipe is so simple to make and is much tastier than anything you can buy from the store. You won’t even miss the tahini, I promise! Vegan, gluten-free, and ready to eat in just 5 minutes.
Hummus is a creamy Middle Eastern dip that makes a wonderful healthy snack or appetizer. I usually like to serve it with fresh chopped vegetables or pita chips. It also pairs perfectly with my No-Yeast Flatbread recipe.
So let’s just get this straight – I have absolutely nothing against tahini, which is a thin paste made from sesame seeds. It’s just that I don’t always have tahini on hand, namely because it’s not an ingredient that I use very often.
What I do always have on hand though, is peanut butter. Peanuts and sesame seeds are often used interchangeably by savvy chefs, depending on what they have available in their kitchens. Both peanut butter and tahini lend a creamy, nutty quality to dishes, so you can easily substitute one for the other.
How to Make Hummus Without Tahini
This homemade hummus recipe is made with canned chickpeas, natural (unsweetened) peanut butter, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, cumin, and salt. Simply combine all of the ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth.
To make the dip look extra pretty if you’re entertaining, garnish it with fresh parsley, paprika, a drizzle of olive oil or whole chickpeas.
Pro Tip: You can add some toasted sesame oil (maybe about 1/2 teaspoon), which would add a bit of traditional tahini flavor.
More Healthy Dip recipes to try:
For this Hummus Without Tahini recipe, I recommend:
- Natural Peanut Butter – Not all peanut butters are created equal, so I recommend using one like this that has no added sugars or preservatives.
- Food Processor – This is the one I use and love! I have had mine for years and it is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I use mine all the time to quickly combine ingredients and to make sauces and dips.
- Citrus Juicer – If you cook with a lot of citrus, a sturdy juicer is a must. This one works for both lemons and limes and will squeeze out every last drop of juice like a pro. Worth every penny.
If you make this Hummus Without Tahini recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
Hummus Without Tahini
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional toppings: Chopped fresh parsley, ground paprika, extra olive oil and/or chickpeas
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine all ingredients and process until smooth.
- Garnish with optional toppings and serve. May be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!