This Double Chocolate Banana Bread recipe is the best ever! It is superbly moist, simple to make, and rich in chocolatey-banana flavor. Learn how to make homemade chocolate banana bread with this easy recipe.
I recently posted my all-time favorite, Best-Ever Moist Banana Bread recipe, which is always a crowd-pleaser. However, I am a chocolate-lover, so I personally like this recipe even more.
This chocolate banana bread recipe is infused with a double dose of chocolate from cocoa powder and chocolate chips, which gives it the most irresistible chocolatey flavor. The recipe is made with brown sugar and four whole bananas, which results in a tender, perfectly sweet bread.
It makes a scrumptious breakfast, snack, or dessert. It is a recipe that you can easily whip up any time, because there is no need for an electric mixer and the batter comes together by hand in mere minutes.
What Is Banana Bread?
Banana bread is a moist, cake-like bread that is a made using ripe, mashed bananas. It is a “quick bread” which means the leavening agents in the batter are baking soda and baking powder, rather than yeast, which is used in regular bread recipes. No resting time is required, so it is ready to bake right away.
Tips for Making Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Use very ripe bananas. In fact, the riper the bananas, the sweeter your bread will be, as the starches turn to sugar. The peels should look very freckled or brown and the fruit inside should be soft and browning.
- If your bananas aren’t quite ripe enough, use this trick: Put them in a 300°F oven, unpeeled, for 15 minutes to soften.
- Don’t over-mix the batter! When you add the dry flour mixture to the wet ingredients, just lightly mix it in. Over-mixing will result in a dense and tough bread, which you don’t want.
Can You Freeze Bananas?
You betcha! Just throw whole, unpeeled bananas directly in the freezer (they come in their own natural storage container!). The peels will turn black with time, but the fruit inside won’t ripen any further once frozen.
Bananas will keep in the freezer for up to six months. Simply defrost on the counter an hour before you want to start baking. You can also heat frozen bananas in the microwave, then peel them once thawed.
How to Freeze Chocolate Banana Bread
Follow these steps to freeze banana bread and preserve its fresh flavor and texture for months:
- Cool the baked banana bread completely.
- Tightly wrap the loaf or bread slices in aluminum foil or plastic wrap (I prefer to freeze banana bread in slices because it thaws much faster that way).
- Place the wrapped banana bread in a large freezer-friendly storage bag or a reusable container.
- Date the bag and freeze for up to 3-4 months. Thaw wrapped or unwrapped in the refrigerator or at room temperature.
More Quick Bread Recipes to Try
For this Chocolate Banana Bread Recipe, I recommend:
Mixing Bowls – This is a 3-piece set that is great for combining ingredients. I love how easy they are to store and clean.
If you make this easy Double Chocolate Banana Bread recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Double Chocolate Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan with butter or baking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas until smooth. Stir in the brown sugar, egg, melted butter and vanilla extract.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet banana mixture and mix until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow bread to cool before serving.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!