This Unsweetened Applesauce recipe is naturally flavored and contains no added sugars. It is naturally Whole30-compliant, vegan, and paleo. Made with fresh apples, water, lemon juice and cinnamon! Learn how to make homemade applesauce with this quick and easy recipe.
I always used to buy ready-made bottles of applesauce, until I realized it was so simple to make on my own. I like to keep a jar of it on hand in the fridge for a quick afternoon snack, condiment for a hearty main dish, or fuss-free dessert.
This recipe uses a bit of lemon juice and cinnamon to compliment the flavor of the apples. Use whatever kind of apples you have on hand or a combination of different types.
Since this recipe does not contain any added sugar, the sweetness of this applesauce depends on the sweetness of your apples. If you taste your applesauce and you think it would taste better if it was just a bit sweeter, I recommend adding a one to two tablespoons of a natural, unrefined sweetener like raw honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar. Keep in mind though that if you add honey, the applesauce will no longer be vegan, and if you add sugar of any form, it will no longer be Whole30-compliant.
Can you substitute fat with applesauce in baking recipes?
Yes! Strange as it may seem, applesauce is a great substitute for fat in baking recipes. If your recipe requires, for example, one cup of butter, margarine, or oil, you can replace it with the same quantity of unsweetened applesauce. You’ll spare yourself the calories and fat, but your desserts will be just as delicious and tender!
More Healthy Snack Recipes to Try
- Healthy Nut-Free Granola Bars
- Chocolate Avocado Pudding
- Hummus Without Tahini
- Peanut Butter Energy Balls
For this Unsweetened Applesauce recipe, I recommend:
- Citrus Juicer – If you cook with a lot of citrus, a sturdy juicer is a must. This one works for both lemons and limes and will squeeze out every last drop of juice like a pro. Worth every penny.
If you make this Unsweetened Applesauce recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you!
Unsweetened Applesauce (Whole30, Vegan, Paleo)
- 4 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan set over medium-high heat. Bring mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Mash the apples with a potato masher or use an immersion (stick) blender to puree the apples for a smoother consistency. Allow to cool before serving.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!