This One-Pot Chicken and Rice Soup recipe is ideal for sick days and cold weather. It is a simple and healthy soup that eats like a meal and is naturally gluten-free. Learn how to make the best homemade chicken and rice soup with this easy and flavorful recipe.
Chicken and Rice Soup: A Warm & Cozy Meal
Yes, I know it is the middle of June and I am posting a soup recipe. But my mom (who I especially made this soup for) caught a cold and it was raining all day on Saturday when I made it, so it is perfectly apropos. 😊
The usual meal of choice for someone that is feeling under the weather is a big bowl of Chicken Noodle Soup. However, my mother is gluten-intolerant. Since I did not have any gluten-free pasta on hand, I decided to whip up a delicious celiac-friendly alternative instead.
Hearty soups like this one are the perfect solution for a quick dinner, because they are super satisfying and can be made in the blink of an eye. In addition, just one bowl can be a great source of nutrients and provides a generous dose of comfort. This filling Chicken and Rice Soup recipe is made with lots of vegetables, rice and is made extra easy by using rotisserie chicken (although you can use any leftover chicken you have on hand).
The verdict? My mom loved it, and I am sure you will too! ♡
Don’t miss out! Click here to get exclusive discounts on my favorite healthy products and resources!
More Gluten-Free Soup Recipes to Try
Here are some more tasty GF soups that I know you will love:
- Curried Coconut Pumpkin Soup
- Thai Noodle Soup with Shrimp
- Cozy Autumn Wild Rice Soup
- Spiced Butternut Squash Soup
- Carrot Soup with Coconut Milk
For this One-Pot Chicken and Rice Soup Recipe, I recommend:
Here are a couple of kitchen tools I suggest using to make this recipe:
- Lodge 6-Quart Dutch Oven – This one is super affordable and the quality is excellent. I love using it to make stews, soups and chili.
- Ultra Chef Express Food Chopper – This is the one I have and it is one of my most-used kitchen tools. I use mine all the time to quickly chop up vegetables. I especially love using it to dice onions, because it saves me from all the tears!
If you make this One-Pot Chicken and Rice recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
The BEST Chicken and Rice Soup (Easy One-Pot Recipe!)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in large pot set over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in broth, water, rice, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until rice is cooked.
- Stir in chicken and peas. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes until heated through.
- Remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- For the chicken in this recipe, you can use rotisserie or any leftover cooked chicken. Alternatively, you can cook and dice two small chicken breasts, which would yield about two cups of meat.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
The soup was so good! The whole family loved it. Thanks for the recipe.
Thanks Tamara! I’m happy you and your family enjoyed it! You’re welcome! 🙂