This Mushroom Quinoa recipe is vegetarian, gluten-free, and can easily be made vegan. It is a healthy and easy recipe that is perfect for Meatless Mondays. Just toss all your ingredients into one pan and you have a no-stress, no-mess meal that is ready to eat about a half an hour!
Main Ingredients in Mushroom Quinoa
Although quinoa looks like a grain, it is actually a seed. This means that it is higher in protein and lower in starch than most grains. Quinoa is also gluten-free, so it is a terrific alternative to grains like wheat and barley for people who are sensitive to gluten. Quinoa is also great for vegetarians that are looking for more ways to get protein in their diet.
Mushrooms have an earthy, meaty texture so they are one of the best substitutes for meat in vegetarian dishes. I use sliced white button mushrooms to make this dish, but you can use whatever mushrooms you have on hand. Cremini mushrooms and Portobello mushrooms would work just fine in this recipe.
Kale is a great leafy green to incorporate into your diet because it is rich in Vitamins A, C and K and is also a good source of calcium. To prepare your kale, tear the leaves from the tough center stalk, then chop or shred the leaves.
The dish is finished with fresh shaved Parmesan cheese which gives it an added layer of richness. To shave your Parmesan cheese, use a vegetable peeler to make shavings or you can just grate it using a microplane grater.
More Vegetarian Dinner Recipes to Try
Looking for more meatless dinner inspiration? Check out these easy recipes:
- Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas
- Thai Noodle Salad
- Coconut Lentil Curry
- Quinoa Fried Rice
- Creamy Mushroom Soup
If you make this easy Mushroom Quinoa recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Mushroom Quinoa (Easy One-Pan Recipe)
- In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium heat.
- Add mushrooms, garlic, thyme and season with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Sauté for about 5 minutes until mushrooms have released liquid and are browned.
- Stir in quinoa and broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15–20 minutes until all liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in kale, cover and simmer for about 3 minutes until kale is wilted. Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
- To make this recipe vegan, simply omit the butter and Parmesan cheese.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.