This rich, smooth Creamy Tomato Soup recipe packs tons of flavor in each spoonful. Serve on its own or with a sandwich or salad for a satisfying lunch or dinner.
You are going to want to add this delicious soup to your regular lunch and dinner rotation, because it is so simple to make and only uses a handful of ingredients – most of which you probably already have on hand. It is a fantastic way to add tomatoes to your diet, which have a myriad of health benefits.
Health Benefits of Tomatoes
The superstar ingredient of this soup recipe is, you guessed it, tomatoes! So let’s talk about why tomatoes are so good for you:
- Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants
- They are a great source of Vitamins A & C
- They are the best source of lycopene, an antioxidant that is tied to enhanced immunity and cancer risk reduction
- Tomatoes contain a compound called lutein, which protects eye health and preserves eyesight
So now you can have your soup and feel good about it too! 🙂
How to Make Creamy Tomato Soup
Homemade tomato soup is so simple to make. Start the cooking process with a base of chopped onions and garlic. Then add the tomatoes and broth, and simmer.
Use a blender to purée the soup, then stir in the cream at the end. Season with a bit of S&P and you have a gorgeously smooth, velvety tomato soup. I use an immersion blender to puree the soup, but if you don’t have one, you can transfer the soup to a traditional blender and blend it in batches.
Important: Be sure to do the following when using a traditional blender to blend hot liquids:
- Be sure to only fill up the blender until it is halfway full, because any more than that can cause an accident.
- Remove the center insert in the lid of your blender to allow hot air to escape. Then keep your hand on top of the lid with a dish towel, keeping most of the hole covered, to avoid any splashes.
For this Creamy Tomato Soup recipe, I recommend:
- KitchenAid Hand Blender – This is the one I use and love! I have had mine for years and it is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I use it all the time to quickly blend up soups, smoothies and dips.
- Ultra Chef Express Food Chopper – This is the one I have and it is one of my most-used kitchen tools. I use mine all the time to quickly chop up vegetables. I especially love using it to dice onions, because it saves me from all the tears!
If you make this Creamy Tomato Soup recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
Creamy Tomato Soup
- In a large pot, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Alternatively, transfer to a traditional blender and puree in batches, then return to pot.
- Return to heat, stir in cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot with a drizzle of cream swirled in and chopped parsley or basil if using.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!