This velvety Carrot Coconut Ginger Soup will warm you right up! A healthy, flavorful soup that is gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and vegan.
This rich, silky-textured soup is such a delicious way to incorporate carrots into your diet, which are loaded with vitamin A. Ginger adds a light touch of heat and compliments the flavor of the carrots exquisitely. Coconut milk gives the soup a creamy sweetness, in addition to the carrots which get sweeter as they cook.
I use an immersion blender to puree the soup, but you could also transfer the soup to a traditional blender and blend it in batches instead. Important: Always remember to do these two things when using a traditional blender to blend hot liquids:
- Only fill up the blender until it is halfway full. Any more than that can cause a serious accident.
- Remove the center insert in the lid of your blender to allow the hot steam to escape. Then place your hand on top of the lid with a dish towel, keeping most of the hole covered, to avoid any splashes while the blender is running.
This soup is great for entertaining because it is gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and vegan, so it is suitable for many people that are following special diets. Serve it as a delicate appetizer or with warm crusty bread for a light lunch or dinner.
For this Carrot Coconut Ginger Soup Recipe, I recommend:
- Pot/Dutch Oven – This one is super affordable and the quality is excellent. I love using it to make soups, stews and chili.
- Immersion/Hand Blender – This is the one I use and love! I have had mine for years and it is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I use it all the time to make soups and smoothies.
- Coconut Milk – I love the taste and consistency of this brand. It adds so much body and richness to soups and curries.
This velvety, flavorful Carrot Coconut Ginger Soup will warm you right up! Naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and vegan.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the ginger, broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes or until carrots are softened.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Alternatively, transfer to a regular blender and puree in batches until smooth.
Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, with an optional drizzle of extra coconut milk.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.