This Coconut Carrot Soup recipe is naturally vegan, Whole30-compliant, paleo, and gluten-free. It is a healthy, easy-to-make soup that will warm you right up. Made with fresh carrots, coconut milk, ginger, onion, coconut oil, and broth. Learn how to make homemade creamy carrot soup with this simple recipe that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
This rich, silky-textured soup is such a delicious way to incorporate carrots into your diet, which are loaded with vitamin A. Coconut milk gives the soup a creamy sweetness, in addition to the carrots which get sweeter as they cook. Ginger adds a light touch of heat and compliments the flavor of the carrots exquisitely well.
How to Make Creamy Coconut Carrot Soup
This homemade coconut carrot soup recipe is so simple to make. Start the cooking process with a base of chopped onions, carrots, and ginger. Then pour in the broth and coconut milk, and simmer until done.
Use a blender to purée the soup at the end and you have a beautifully smooth, thick, and satisfying soup. I use an immersion blender to puree the soup, but you could also transfer the soup to a traditional blender and blend it in batches instead.
Important: Always remember to do these two things when using a traditional blender to blend hot liquids:
- Only fill up the blender until it is halfway full. Any more than that can cause a serious accident.
- Remove the center insert in the lid of your blender to allow the hot steam to escape. Then place your hand on top of the lid with a dish towel, keeping most of the hole covered, to avoid any splashes while the blender is running.
This soup is great for entertaining because it is vegan, Whole30-compliant, paleo, and gluten-free, so it is suitable for many people that are following special diets. Even though it is dairy-free, it is still luxuriously creamy thanks to the coconut milk in the recipe. Serve it as a delicate appetizer or with warm crusty bread for a light lunch or dinner.
Don’t miss out! Click here to get exclusive discounts on my favorite healthy products and resources!
More Vegan Soup Recipes to Try
Looking for more plant-based soup recipes? Here are some more options:
For this Coconut Carrot Soup recipe, I recommend:
Here are a few kitchen items I suggest using to make this recipe:
- Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk – I love the taste, texture and consistency of this brand. It adds so much body and richness to dishes like this one.
- KitchenAid Hand Blender – This is the immersion blender I use and love! I have had mine for years and it is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I use it all the time to quickly blend up soups, smoothies and dips.
- Ultra Chef Express Food Chopper – This is the one I have and it is one of my most-used kitchen tools. I use mine all the time to quickly chop up vegetables. I especially love using it to dice onions, because it saves me from all the tears!
If you make this Coconut Carrot Soup recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Creamy Coconut Carrot Soup Recipe (Vegan, Whole30, Paleo)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 8 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the ginger and cook for about a minute further until fragrant.
- Add the broth and coconut milk. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until carrots are softened.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Alternatively, transfer to a regular blender and puree in batches until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm, with an optional drizzle of extra coconut milk.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Can this be made in a crockpot?
Hi Steph! I haven’t made this recipe in a slow cooker before, but it should definitely work. If you want to make this soup in a crock pot, do this: Add the onion, carrots, ginger and broth to the bowl of a slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high, until the carrots are tender. Stir in the coconut milk. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth and season with salt and pepper to taste. Hope that helps! 🙂
I love to have soups for dinner and keep looking for some different recipes..This one with carrots and ginger sounds so perfect for the cooler weather.. The color,the flavors,everything is so yummy!
Hi Deepika! I know I LOVE having soup when its cold outside, it’s like the most comforting thing! 🙂 Thank you for your kind words my friend!
heather (delicious not gorgeous) says
i love how vibrant this is! that ginger sounds so warming and perfect for fall (:
Thanks Heather! ♥ I know I love ginger in everything – soups, curries, smoothies, sushi, everything! lol 🙂
Alia, my mouth is watering!! I haven’t had carrot coconut ginger soup in AGES!! I had completely forgotten about it. I love that kind of soup. As soon as we get unpacked and I get my blender back, I’m going to make this!! Can’t wait!
Woo hoo I’m glad I made your mouth water! Haha 🙂 Yes!! I’m excited for you to make it! Have a great weekend Maria!
Love your carrot soup with coconut milk!! So yummy!
Thanks so much Emma! ♥
Shannon @loveatfirstbento says
This looks so delicious and comforting – I wish I had a bowl right now! I’ve been sick lately, and so practically living off soups for the last little while. I think I’ll have to add this recipe to the rotation, as it sounds so good! And love that it’s healthy without sacrificing the taste 🙂
Hey Shannon! Thanks so much! ? I know so many people are sick right now, I think its just that time of year. I’m not sick, but I crave soup all the time because of the cool weather. You should definitely try this recipe sometime! The flavor is really different from regular soups (like tomato, chicken noodle, etc.), so I think you will like the uniqueness of it. I hope you feel better soon! 🙂
Hi! This soup sounds delicious!! I’m wondering if it is possible to make it without coconut milk? Just to blend carrots, ginger and the rest of the stuff. Did you try it? Would it still be tasty?
Hi Anita! It is definitely possible to make this soup without coconut milk! I would sub in either 2 cups of broth or water in place of the coconut milk. The soup will just have a different consistency that the original recipe, but It should definitely still be tasty! 🙂
This soup was so easy to make and delicious!!!! I will definitely keep this recipe in rotation.
Thanks so much Brenda! I’m happy you enjoyed the soup recipe!
Jennifer Flaherty says
Hi Alia & readers planning to make this recipe!
It’s absolutely delicious.
This was the first soup I’ve made from scratch for many years.
Instead of vegetable broth, I used Knorr Powdered Chicken flavor bullion.
I didn’t have any vegetable broth and didn’t want to wait. Also
I used what I have which was. a full16 oz package of 2 inch baby carrots. 3 cloves of minced garlic added, too
Using the Ninja blender, I added the chopped carrots making them close to finely minced
I followed the recipe from there, though I didn’t puree it.
Thank you, Alia, it is very delicious! I appreciate the opportunity to make this soup!
Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for your kind words and for letting me know how you made the carrot soup! I’m so glad you enjoyed the recipe!