This Vegetarian Quinoa Fried Rice recipe is a healthy spin on a takeout favorite. It makes a quick, flavorful, and protein-packed main or side dish. Learn how to make homemade quinoa fried rice from scratch with this easy recipe that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
This 30-minute quinoa fried rice recipe is one you need to add to your regular dinner rotation. It is so simple to make and uses common ingredients that you probably already have on hand in your kitchen. You will love this recipe because it has all of the delicious flavor of traditional fried rice, but gets a boost of protein and nutrition by substituting quinoa for rice.
Health Benefits of Quinoa
Quinoa is a gluten-free, grain-like seed that is originally from South America. Quinoa is a good source of a number of important nutrients, including folate, magnesium, zinc, and iron. It is also rich in fiber and protein, which are nutrients that play an important role in helping you feel full (source).
Quinoa does not take very long to prepare and can be easily to added salads, soups, or stews. In addition, it can replace rice or pasta as a side dish. You can find quinoa in the natural food section at the supermarket or online.
Vegetarian Quinoa Fried Rice Ingredients
Before we get to the recipe, let’s talk ingredients. To make homemade quinoa fried rice, you will need:
- Quinoa: This serves as the nutrient-dense, protein-rich base for this dish. I’ve linked my favorite brand of quinoa in the recipe card below.
- Yellow onions, carrots, and peas: This is the mix of vegetables that I used to make this recipe, but feel free to substitute any other stir-fry vegetables you have on hand.
- Garlic, ginger, and green onions: These three ingredients are collectively known as the holy trinity of Chinese cuisine. They are used to build a solid foundation of flavors and aromas in Chinese-style meals.
- Eggs: These add a good dose of protein, as well as flavor and texture. If possible, you should use organic, pasture-raised eggs for maximum health benefits.
- Sesame oil: This is the cooking oil used for this recipe. It adds a wonderfully nutty flavor and aroma to this dish as well.
- Tamari: This condiment forms the base of the quinoa’s savory flavor. Tamari is essentially gluten-free soy sauce. I recommend always purchasing high-quality organic tamari and soy sauce. Soybeans are one of the top GMO and pesticide-laden crops, so it’s worth spending the extra money on organic.
- Sriracha: This spicy sauce adds a good amount of heat, without overpowering the rest of the flavors in the dish.
See the recipe card below for full information on ingredients and quantities.
How to Make Vegetarian Quinoa Fried Rice
This dish is prepared in stages, so that everything gets cooked to perfection. Here are the basic steps to make this easy quinoa fried rice recipe:
- Cook the quinoa: Begin by cooking your quinoa in a saucepan. To cook quinoa, just remember this simple ratio: 1 cup quinoa to 2 parts liquid. For the liquid in this recipe I used water, but you can also use chicken or vegetable broth to add an extra layer of flavor.
- Sauté the eggs: Next, scramble the eggs in some sesame oil in a frying pan and then set them aside once they are done cooking. This is done so that they don’t overcook while the rest of the ingredients are in the pan.
- Stir-fry the veggies: In the same pan, sauté the vegetables and aromatics until tender.
- Add the quinoa and sauces: Add the cooked quinoa, tamari, and Sriracha. Stir-fry the mixture for a couple minutes.
- Garnish and serve: Finally, add your eggs back to the pan. Sprinkle your freshly-made quinoa fried rice with sliced green onions. Dinner is served!
That’s it! Now you can skip the takeout and whip up a fast and fresh recipe for quinoa fried rice in just 30 minutes. Full instructions are included in the recipe card below, as always.
More Easy Quinoa Recipes
Craving more delicious and wholesome quinoa recipes? Here are some more tasty, nourishing, and simple quinoa recipes that you will love:
- Chicken and Broccoli Quinoa
- Easy Breakfast Quinoa Bowls
- One-Pan Mexican Quinoa
- Mushroom Kale Quinoa Skillet
- Mediterranean Quinoa Bowl
If you make this Vegetarian Quinoa Fried Rice recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Vegetarian Quinoa Fried Rice (Easy and Healthy Recipe!)
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Add the quinoa and water to a saucepan, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove the quinoa from the heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the eggs and scramble constantly until cooked through. Transfer the eggs to a separate plate.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of sesame oil in the skillet. Add the onion, garlic, ginger, carrots, and peas and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the cooked quinoa, tamari, and Sriracha. Stir-fry the mixture for a couple of minutes.
- Add the eggs back to the pan and stir until combined. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
This post was originally published on November 24, 2017. It has been updated throughout to include new information and helpful content.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.