This tasty Quinoa Fried Rice recipe is a healthier spin on a takeout favorite! A quick, easy, and protein-packed vegetarian main or side dish.
This 30-minute recipe has all of the delicious flavor of traditional fried rice, but gets a boost of protein and nutrition by substituting quinoa for rice. Just like my classic Chinese Fried Rice recipe, this dish is prepared in stages so that everything gets cooked to perfection.
How to Make Quinoa Fried Rice
Begin by cooking your quinoa in a saucepan. To cook quinoa, just remember this simple ratio: 1 cup quinoa to 2 parts liquid. For the liquid in this recipe I used water, but you can also use chicken or vegetable broth to add an extra layer of flavor.
Next, scramble the eggs in some sesame oil in a frying pan and then set them aside once they are done cooking. This is done so that they don’t overcook while the rest of the ingredients are in the pan.
Then, sauté the vegetables and aromatics until tender. Add the cooked quinoa, soy sauce and Sriracha and stir-fry the mixture for a couple minutes. Finally, add back your eggs and sprinkle with sliced green onions. Dinner is served!
What are the Health Benefits of Quinoa?
Quinoa is a protein-rich, grain-like seed that is originally from South America. Quinoa is incredibly rich in iron and stands out because of it’s high levels of protein, vitamins, minerals and fiber. For example, half a cup of quinoa contains as much fiber as a slice of whole wheat bread or half a cup of cooked brown rice.
Quinoa can be to added salads, soups, or stews and can replace rice or pasta as a side. You can find quinoa in the natural food section at the supermarket or online. My favorite brand of quinoa is TruRoots Organic Whole Grain Quinoa.
More Quinoa Recipes to Try
For this Quinoa Fried Rice recipe, I recommend:
- Ultra Chef Express Food Chopper – This is the one I have and it is one of my most-used kitchen tools. I use mine all the time to quickly chop up vegetables. I especially love using it to dice onions, because it saves me from all the tears!
- Cuisinart Classic Skillet with Cover – This one is a kitchen essential. The quality is excellent and it is nonstick, which means clean-up is a breeze!
If you make this Quinoa Fried Rice recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
Quinoa Fried Rice
- Add quinoa and water to a saucepan, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add the eggs and scramble constantly until cooked through. Transfer eggs to a separate plate.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of sesame oil in the skillet. Add onion, garlic, carrots and peas and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the cooked quinoa, soy sauce and Sriracha. Stir-fry mixture for about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs back to the pan and stir until combined. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!