This Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions recipe is super flavorful, healthy, and simple to make. You can serve this crowd-pleasing recipe as a side dish, with a steak, or on a burger. Learn how to make homemade sautéed mushrooms and onions with this quick and easy recipe.
Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions: The Perfect Side Dish
This easy Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions recipe is a tasty, savory side dish that you can whip up in about 10 minutes. In this recipe, white button mushrooms are sautéed with a bit of olive oil, butter, onion, thyme, Worcestershire, and soy sauce to make a well-seasoned, palate-pleasing dish.
Mushrooms carry a lot of moisture and in order to cook properly, they have to release their liquid. In this recipe, the moisture is drawn from the mushrooms by applying heat and then evaporated. This cooking technique leaves the mushrooms perfectly browned, slightly reduced in size, and wonderfully tender.
Health Benefits of Mushrooms
Not only do mushrooms taste delicious, they have a myriad of impressive health benefits:
- Mushrooms contain a powerful antioxidant called selenium, which helps to support the immune system and prevent damage to cells and tissues
- They are a great source of B vitamins, fiber, protein and antioxidants
- Mushrooms are very low in calories – for example, six medium white button mushrooms are only 22 calories.
More Side Dish Recipes to Try
Look for more side dish inspiration? Here are some of my favorites on the blog:
- Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Sage
- Cherry Tomato Spinach Salad
- Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- Buttered Egg Noodles
For this Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions recipe, I recommend:
Here are some kitchen tools I suggest using to ensure this recipe turns out perfect every single time:
- Kitchen and Food Scale – If you buy in bulk, a scale makes it so easy to measure the perfect amount of mushrooms to use for this dish. You can also use a kitchen scale to accurately measure the weight of meat, pasta, and flour to use in recipes.
- Frying Pan or Cast Iron Skillet – Either of these pans would work great for this recipe, and as a bonus they are safe to use both on the stovetop and in the oven.
If you make this Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions
- Heat oil and butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms, onions and thyme and cook for 5 - 8 minutes until mushrooms are browned and all liquid in the pan has evaporated.
- Stir in Worcestershire and soy sauce. Season with pepper and sprinkle with parsley, if using, and serve warm.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!