This Buttermilk Cornbread recipe requires only 30 minutes and 9 common ingredients to make. It is the perfect balance between tender and crumbly and is one of the easiest breads you can make. Learn how to make the best homemade sweet cornbread with this quick and simple recipe.
UPDATE: This post was originally published in July 2016 and has been updated to reflect new information and helpful content.
Buttermilk Cornbread: The Perfect Side
Cornbread is the perfect side dish for barbecues and it pairs perfectly with soups, stews, and chili. There are so many different variations of cornbread out there, and this is my easy take on it.
Although traditional Southern cornbread is usually made in a cast iron skillet, I always bake it in a square baking pan. I like to use a combination of both cornmeal and all-purpose flour because it gives the bread a soft, moist crumb.
What Can I Use if I Don’t Have Buttermilk?
In this cornbread recipe, buttermilk lightens the batter and also tenderizes the bread. If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, use this neat trick: Mix together 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar, then let it rest for 5–10 minutes until it is slightly thickened and a bit curdled. It won’t be as thick as regular buttermilk, but it will work just the same in the recipe.
More Easy Bread Recipes
Looking for more homemade bread recipes? Here are some of my favorites on the blog:
For this Buttermilk Cornbread recipe, I recommend:
Here are a couple of kitchen items I suggest using, to ensure this recipe turns out perfect every single time:
- Mixing Bowls – This is a 3-piece set that is great for combining ingredients. The bowls nest together, so they are super easy to store.
- Square Baking Pan – This pan is the perfect size for this recipe. It also works beautifully for making brownies, bars and cake.
If you make this Buttermilk Cornbread recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
The Best Easy Buttermilk Cornbread (Sweet & Moist)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8x8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter.
- Mix the wet buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients until incorporated.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow bread to cool before serving.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.