30 minutes and 9 common ingredients are all you need to make this Simple Cornbread recipe. It is the perfect balance between tender and crumbly and is one of the easiest breads you can make.
Cornbread is the perfect side to eat with chili, a hot bowl of soup or to bring along with you to a summer barbecue. There are so many different variations of cornbread out there, and this is my easy take on it.
Although traditional Southern cornbread is usually made in a cast iron skillet, I always bake it in a square baking pan. I use a combination of both cornmeal and all-purpose flour because it gives the bread a soft, moist crumb.
Buttermilk lightens the batter and also tenderizes the bread. If you don’t have any buttermilk on hand, use this neat trick: Mix together 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar, then let it rest for 5 – 10 minutes until it is slightly thickened and a bit curdled. It won’t be as thick as regular buttermilk, but it will work just the same in the recipe.
For this Simple Cornbread Recipe, I Recommend:
- Mixing Bowls – This is a 3-piece set that is great for combining ingredients. The bowls nest together, so they are super easy to store.
- Square Baking Pan – This pan is the perfect size for this recipe. It also works beautifully for making brownies, bars and cake.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease an 8x8-inch square baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and melted butter.
- Mix the wet buttermilk mixture into the dry ingredients until incorporated.
Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Allow bread to cool before serving.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.