This Herb Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes recipe takes ordinary mashed potatoes to soaring new heights with the simple addition of goat cheese, basil, and thyme. A flavorful, crowd-pleasing side dish that is delightfully simple to make.
Mashed potatoes are pure comfort food and a favorite side dish for almost any occasion. In this recipe, goat cheese gives a luxurious, creamy tang, while basil and thyme give an additional layer of flavor that elevates regular mashed potatoes to a whole new level of deliciousness.
Tips for making Herb Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- For the fluffiest, smoothest mashed potatoes, I recommend using higher starch potatoes, such as Russets (used in this recipe) or Yukon golds. They require less mashing to become creamy and also absorb flavorings more easily than waxy red potatoes.
- Always put the potatoes in cold salted water to start, then heat to boiling and reduce to a simmer. Doing this helps the potatoes to cook uniformly. If you start in hot water, they will cook unevenly, with the outside falling apart before the inside is cooked.
- Be sure to not overwork your potatoes when you are mashing them. Mashing your potatoes for too long or too vigorously (like in the food processor) releases a lot of starch, which can make them gluey and unpleasant to eat.
- Lastly, for this particular recipe, you might want to make a double batch for a crowd, because it will fly off the table. 🙂
Why Potatoes are Actually Good For You
Potatoes are are a great source of vitamins and minerals! Did you know that a medium, unpeeled potato contains more iron than a cup of fresh spinach and more vitamin C than three peaches? They are also a good source of vitamin B6, potassium, copper, manganese, phosphorus, and dietary fiber.
More side dish recipes to try
- Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- Sautéed Mushrooms and Onions
- Creamy Dill Potato Salad
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Sage
If you make this easy Herb Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
Herb Goat Cheese Mashed Potatoes
- 3 medium russet potatoes (about 1.5 pounds), peeled, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Place potatoes in a large pot of cold, salted water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain the water from the potatoes and return to pot.
- Add milk, goat cheese, butter, salt, basil and thyme. Mash with a potato masher until smooth.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!