This Cherry Tomato Spinach Salad recipe is crisp, refreshing and so simple to make. It is also a very simple way to incorporate more vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants into your diet. Learn how to make fresh tomato spinach salad with this quick, easy and healthy recipe that is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
You are going to love this tasty, superfood salad because it uses simple ingredients and takes only 10 minutes to prepare. It is the perfect side salad to accompany a soup and sandwich for a filling lunch or dinner. This salad is also a great dish for entertaining or bringing along to a potluck, because it is bright, colorful and looks super appetizing.
Cherry Tomato Spinach Salad Ingredients
The basic elements of this salad are fresh baby spinach with cherry tomatoes, cucumber and pumpkin seeds, tossed in a delectable honey balsamic vinaigrette. Here’s why you should feel great about making and eating this salad:
- Fresh Spinach is only 7 calories per cup and is an excellent source of Vitamin K, Vitamin A and folic acid. Spinach can also protect heart health by improving the functions of nitric acid, which improves circulation, blood pressure, and blood vessel health.
- Cherry tomatoes (all tomatoes actually) are rich in antioxidants and Vitamins A & C. They are the best source of lycopene, an antioxidant that is tied to enhanced immunity and cancer risk reduction. They also contain a compound called lutein, which protects eye health and preserves eyesight.
- Cucumbers are fantastic to add to salads because they are very low in calories and are 96% water by weight, so they are super hydrating.
- Pumpkin seeds are a terrific plant-based protein source as they contain 9 grams of protein per 1/4 cup. They are also an excellent natural source of magnesium and zinc.
- Finally, my honey balsamic vinaigrette is made mostly with extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar, in a 3:1 ratio of oil to vinegar (that’s the perfect ratio for salad dressings). Honey, mustard and a little S&P are added into the mix for more flavor and to help the oil and vinegar bind together.
Tips for Making Cherry Tomato Spinach Salad
Here are my most important pointers for making homemade salad:
- When preparing the dressing, I always like to shake the ingredients together in a jar rather than whisking them in a bowl, because I find the vinaigrette combines much more easily that way.
- If you are making this salad in advance for a party, do not add the dressing until you are ready to serve. This will keep the salad crisp and prevent it from becoming soggy.
How to make this Salad a Complete Meal
Add some more protein! By adding a little extra protein to this salad, you can make it into a satisfying, complete meal. To ensure that your body functions properly, you should try to eat main meals that provide between 10 and 20 grams of protein. You can boost the protein levels in this Cherry Tomato Spinach Salad by adding any of the following ingredients to it (per serving):
- 1/4 cup of cooked chicken would add an extra 11g of protein, bringing the total protein up to 13g
- 1/4 cup of tuna would add an extra 10g of protein, bringing the total protein up to 12g
- 2 hard-boiled eggs would add an extra 12g of protein, bringing the total protein up to 14g
Don’t miss out! Click here to get exclusive discounts on my favorite healthy products and resources!
More Healthy Salad Recipes to Try
Looking for more nourishing salads? Here are some more great recipes:
- Avocado Salad with Chicken
- Tuna Salad with Beans
- Asian Sesame Ginger Salad
- Apple Spinach Salad
- Creamy Thai Noodle Salad
If you make this Cherry Tomato Spinach Salad recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Cherry Tomato Spinach Salad
For the salad:
- 6 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber, sliced
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
For the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients.
- In a small jar, add all dressing ingredients and close tightly with the lid. Shake vigorously until combined.
- Just before serving, drizzle salad with dressing and toss until evenly coated.
- When preparing the dressing, shake the ingredients together in a jar rather than whisking them in a bowl. The vinaigrette combines much more easily that way.
- If you are making this salad in advance, do not add the dressing until you are ready to serve. This will keep the salad crisp and prevent it from becoming soggy.
- To make this recipe vegan, substitute the honey with maple syrup.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
I totally agree about shaking the dressing In a jar – completely makes the dressing easier and better-tasting! Happy New Year and all the best in 2018!
Hi Laura! Totally!! Happy New Year to you too!! 🙂
Stacey @ The Sugar Coated Cottage says
I so need some good leafy greens after the holiday indulging!! This looks so vibrant and fresh! Happy New Year!! Take care.
Hi Stacy! Same here, lol! Thanks so much! Happy New Year to you too! 🙂
That’s a pretty salad!So bright and fresh! Love the idea of making and shaking the dressing in a jar!
Thanks so much Deepika!! ♥ Hope you’re having a great week!
Leanne | Crumb Top Baking says
I love homemade salad dressings and this is definitely one I need to try! Love how fresh and vibrant the salad looks! Happy January!
Hi Leanne! You should definitely try this one out! Thanks so much! Happy New Year!! 🙂
A big healthy salad like this is just what I need after the holidays!!! Can’t wait to make it
Same here! Thanks Jenn, I can’t wait for you to make it either! 🙂
Meena Patel says
Perfect and easy salad recipe!
Thank you Meena! 🙂
Instead of adding the mustard and balsamic i just substitute those for red wine vinegar and add 1 clove of garlic 👌🏼
Hi Britt! That sounds delicious, thanks for letting me know!