This Quick Homemade Marinara Sauce recipe is made with simple, classic ingredients and is delightfully easy to prepare. Ready in just 20 minutes!
Forget store-bought jars of red sauce — homemade marinara tastes so much better. This versatile tomato sauce takes mere minutes to prepare and is made with ingredients you most likely already have on hand in the pantry. The uses for marinara sauce are endless – serve it spooned over freshly cooked pasta, spread over pizza, layered in a lasagna or as a dipping sauce for garlic bread.
How to Make Homemade Marinara Sauce
Homemade marinara sauce is so easy to make. Begin the cooking process with a base of olive oil, chopped onions, and garlic. Then add the crushed tomatoes and seasonings. Simmer just until the sauce has thickened and you have a beautifully smooth, rich, and tasty marinara.
Health Benefits of Tomatoes
The superstar ingredient of marinara sauce is, you guessed it, tomatoes! So let’s talk about why tomatoes are so good for you:
- Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants
- They are a great source of Vitamins A & C
- They are the best source of lycopene, an antioxidant that is tied to enhanced immunity and cancer risk reduction
- Tomatoes contain a compound called lutein, which protects eye health and preserves eyesight
So now you can eat your marinara and feel good about it too! 🙂 Enjoy!
More Sauce/Dip Recipes to Try
If you make this Quick Homemade Marinara Sauce recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
Quick Homemade Marinara Sauce
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, basil, salt, sugar, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 - 10 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened. Season with additional salt, pepper or sugar to taste if needed.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!