You are going to love this Creamy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese recipe, because it is so easy to make and tastes infinitely better than anything you can buy at the store. All you need are a few simple ingredients and just 20 minutes to make the best macaroni and cheese ever.
Mac n’ cheese is the ultimate comfort food. After trying this super-easy, super-creamy macaroni and cheese recipe, you will never go back to the boxed stuff again!
How to Make Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
Begin by cooking your dry pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to the package directions, which usually takes 8 – 10 minutes. Next, make your cheese sauce! Cheese sauce, also known as Mornay sauce, is the key to creamy, crowd-pleasing mac n’ cheese.
To make the sauce, begin by whisking together equal amounts of butter and flour over medium heat to make a roux, which helps thicken the sauce. Whisk until it forms a paste that is golden brown in color and has a slightly toasted aroma. Next, whisk in the milk to form a white sauce (called béchamel) until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Stir in the grated cheddar cheese until the sauce is smooth and velvety. Finally, stir in your cooked pasta until it is completely coated in the sauce.
Can Pasta Make You Gain Weight?
From a nutritional standpoint, no single food alone has the ability to make you gain weight. However, pasta dishes do have a high calorie content, as they contain an average of nearly 250 calories for per cup.
Therefore, if you frequently eat pasta, you will have to be more mindful of your serving sizes. You should also pay closer attention to the sauces and seasonings that come with them. For a recipe like this Mac and Cheese, portion control is key!
You shouldn’t have more than two servings per meal (half a cup of cooked pasta is equivalent to one serving of grains). You should also opt for whole grain pasta when you can and serve it with a side of steamed vegetables or salad, to increase your fiber intake and to feel more satiated.
More Quick Pasta Recipes to Try
For this Macaroni and Cheese recipe, I recommend:
Box grater – You can save a ton of money by grating a brick of cheese yourself, rather than buying pre-shredded cheese. Pre-shredded cheese also contains additives that prevent the cheese from sticking together in the bag. So if you grate the cheese yourself, it will melt better too!
If you make this Creamy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
Creamy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
- 2 cups macaroni (elbow) pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once butter has melted, whisk in flour and cook the mixture for about 2 minutes, whisking continuously, until it turns golden brown.
- Gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture. Cook while whisking for about 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in cheese until smooth. Add the pasta to the cheese sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
- To make this recipe healthier and higher in fiber, use whole wheat or whole grain pasta.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!