This Indian Coconut Chickpea Curry recipe is naturally vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free. It is super flavorful and is so healthy, hearty, and easy to make! It makes an ideal dinner for busy weeknights, because it is ready to eat in just 30 minutes. Learn how to make homemade coconut chickpea curry with this quick and simple recipe.
Coconut Chickpea Curry: A Healthy Indian Dinner Recipe
You are going to love this rich, creamy curry made with chickpeas, coconut milk and fresh spinach. It is packed with protein and nutrition and is so unbelievably simple to make. Best of all, you probably already have all of the ingredients sitting in your pantry!
Normally when you read Indian recipes, they include a large number of spices in the ingredient list that many people don’t readily have on hand. So, I developed a recipe that uses curry powder, which contains a variety of fragrant Indian spices that have been ground up and mixed together in one handy package. Only a small amount of curry powder is used in this recipe. That way the chickpea curry has just the slightest hint of warm Indian spices, without being overly spicy.
This healthy Indian Coconut Chickpea Curry recipe is ideal for busy weeknights, because it delivers maximum flavor in minimal time. Serve it with steamed basmati rice, warm naan, or flatbread for a complete, satisfying dinner when you are in the mood for something exotic.
This recipe would be great for entertaining or taking along to a potluck. Since it is naturally vegan and gluten-free, it is suitable for many people following special diets. It is also perfect for meal prepping, so feel free to make a batch ahead of time to have on hand for the coming week.
How to Make Vegan Coconut Chickpea Curry
This chickpea curry with coconut milk is one of those recipes that tastes like you’ve simmered it gently for hours. Luckily, it takes less time to make than your favorite Indian restaurant takes to deliver. To make this homemade coconut chickpea curry recipe, simply:
- Make the flavor base: Cook the onion, garlic, ginger, and curry powder in a bit of coconut oil until fragrant.
- Stir in the liquids: Add the crushed tomatoes and coconut milk, then simmer.
- Add the chickpeas and spinach: Season the curry sauce with S&P to taste, then stir in the chickpeas and spinach.
- Serve: Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired, then serve the chickpea curry with rice and/or flatbread.
That’s it! This is truly a foolproof, easy curry recipe that is absolutely bursting with flavor. See the full recipe below for detailed ingredient amounts and complete recipe instructions/directions.
Can You Freeze Chickpea Curry?
Yes! I recommend separating a batch/leftovers into smaller portions in freezer-safe containers. Then place the containers in the freezer. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator or out on the counter for quick dinners during extra-busy weeknights.
Possible Recipe Variations
This coconut chickpea curry recipe is incredibly flexible with regards to variations. For example, feel free to…
- Add more seasoning: For a more intense curry flavor, you can increase the amount of curry powder to your liking or add in some garam masala.
- Use different greens: Kale or collard greens would also be delicious in place of the spinach.
- Add some heat: To give the curry a more piquant flavor, you can add in a few pinches of cayenne powder or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add extra veggies: Feel free to toss in any other mild curry-friendly veggies that you have on hand, such as bell peppers, zucchini, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, or peas.
Those are just a few suggestions, so feel free to experiment with whatever ingredient swaps or additions that sound good to you. 🙂
More Coconut Curry Recipes to Try
Craving more coconut curry? Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Thai Coconut Curry Rice
- Curried Coconut Pumpkin Soup
- Coconut Lentil Curry
- Thai Spicy Noodle Soup
- Coconut Curry Shrimp and Rice
For this Indian Chickpea Curry recipe, I recommend:
Here are some items I suggest using to ensure this recipe comes out perfect every single time:
- McCormick Curry Powder – This is the curry powder I use! The quality is excellent and it gives a rich, fragrant and well-rounded flavor to soups and curries.
- Viva Naturals Coconut Oil – I always use this unrefined, virgin, and organic coconut oil for optimal flavor and health benefits.
- Ultra Chef Express Food Chopper – This is the one I have and it is one of my most-used kitchen tools. I use mine all the time to quickly chop up vegetables. I especially love using it to dice onions, because it saves me from all the tears!
If you make this easy Indian Coconut Chickpea Curry recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Indian Coconut Chickpea Curry (Healthy & Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped packed fresh spinach
- Optional garnish: Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 4 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes and coconut milk. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in chickpeas and spinach. Cook for about 3 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Serve warm, garnished with cilantro if using.
- Serve your coconut chickpea curry with rice or flatbread for a satisfying meal.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for about a week or can be frozen for up to three months.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.