This Indian Coconut Chickpea Curry recipe is naturally vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free. It is super flavorful and is so healthy, hearty, and easy to make! It makes an ideal dinner for busy weeknights, because it is ready to eat in just 30 minutes. Learn how to make homemade coconut chickpea curry with this quick and simple recipe.
Coconut Chickpea Curry: A Healthy Dinner Recipe
You are going to love this rich, creamy curry made with chickpeas, coconut milk and fresh spinach. It is packed with protein and nutrition and is so unbelievably simple to make. Best of all, you probably already have all of the ingredients sitting in your pantry!
Normally when you read Indian recipes, they include a large number of spices in the ingredient list that many people don’t readily have on hand. So, I developed a recipe that uses curry powder, which contains a variety of fragrant Indian spices that have been ground up and mixed together in one handy package. Only a small amount of curry powder is used in this recipe. That way the chickpea curry has just the slightest hint of warm Indian spices, without being overly spicy.
This healthy Indian Coconut Chickpea Curry recipe is ideal for busy weeknights, because it delivers maximum flavor in minimal time. Serve it with steamed basmati rice, warm naan, or flatbread for a complete, satisfying dinner when you are in the mood for something exotic.
This recipe would be great for entertaining or taking along to a potluck. Since it is naturally vegan and gluten-free, it is suitable for many people following special diets. It is also perfect for meal prepping, so feel free to make a batch ahead of time to have on hand for the coming week.
Don’t miss out! Click here to get exclusive discounts on all of my favorite healthy brands!
How to Make Chickpea Coconut Curry
This chickpea curry with coconut milk is one of those recipes that tastes like you’ve simmered it gently for hours. Luckily, it takes less time to make than your favorite Indian restaurant takes to deliver. To make this homemade coconut chickpea curry recipe, simply:
- Make the flavor base: Cook the onion, garlic, ginger, and curry powder in a bit of coconut oil until fragrant.
- Stir in the liquids: Add the crushed tomatoes and coconut milk, then simmer.
- Add the chickpeas and spinach: Season the curry sauce with S&P to taste, then stir in the chickpeas and spinach.
- Serve: Garnish with fresh chopped cilantro, if desired, then serve the chickpea curry with rice and/or flatbread.
That’s it! This is truly a foolproof, easy curry recipe that is absolutely bursting with flavor. See the full recipe below for detailed ingredient amounts and complete recipe instructions/directions.
Possible Recipe Variations
This coconut chickpea curry recipe is incredibly flexible with regards to variations. For example, feel free to…
- Add more seasoning: For a more intense curry flavor, you can increase the amount of curry powder to your liking or add in some garam masala.
- Use different greens: Kale or collard greens would also be delicious in place of the spinach.
- Add some heat: To give the curry a more piquant flavor, you can add in a few pinches of cayenne powder or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add extra veggies: Feel free to toss in any other mild curry-friendly veggies that you have on hand, such as bell peppers, zucchini, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, or peas.
Those are just a few suggestions, so feel free to experiment with whatever ingredient swaps or additions that sound good to you. 🙂
More Coconut Curry Recipes to Try
Craving more coconut curry? Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Easy Chicken Coconut Curry
- Thai Coconut Curry Rice
- Coconut Lentil Curry
- Thai Soup with Coconut Milk
- Mixed Vegetable Coconut Curry
Can You Freeze Chickpea Curry?
Yes! I recommend separating a batch of curry or leftovers into smaller portions in freezer-safe containers. Then place the containers in the freezer. When ready to eat, thaw in the refrigerator or out on the counter for quick dinners during extra-busy weeknights.
For this Indian Chickpea Curry recipe, I recommend:
Here are a some pantry staples that I suggest using to ensure this coconut chickpea curry recipe turns out perfect. All of these ingredients can be ordered online from Thrive Market, which is an online retailer that sells healthy, organic food at wholesale prices. I like to think of it like Amazon (online marketplace) meets Costco (wholesale prices) meets Whole Foods (all wholesome, junk-free foods).
- Thrive Market Curry Powder – This is the curry powder I use! The quality is excellent and it gives a rich, fragrant, and well-rounded flavor to soups and curries.
- Organic Coconut Milk – I love the richness and consistency of this full-fat coconut milk. It adds so much body and richness to curries and soups.
- Nutiva Coconut Oil – I always use this unrefined, virgin, and organic coconut oil for optimal flavor and health benefits.
If you’re interested in purchasing any of the above items, you’ll need to get a Thrive Market membership. However, if you’re a reader of my website, you will get an exclusive bonus when you sign up:
Click here to get a FREE gift, up to $22 value, when you purchase a 1-month or 1-year risk-free Thrive Market membership!
If you make this easy Indian Coconut Chickpea Curry recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Indian Coconut Chickpea Curry (Easy Vegan Recipe)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chopped packed fresh spinach
- Optional garnish: Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté for 4 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes and coconut milk. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir in chickpeas and spinach. Cook for about 3 minutes, until spinach is wilted.
- Serve warm, garnished with cilantro if using.
- Serve your coconut chickpea curry with rice or flatbread for a satisfying meal.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for about a week or can be frozen for up to three months.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Oooh, this sounds so good! I love a recipe that comes together so quickly and is easy. And spicy! Yum. And, you’re right, I have all these ingredients right in my pantry! Thanks for the recipe!
Aw thanks so much Laura!! Now you have no excuse not to try it sometime! 😉 Hehe. You’re welcome!!
can I use olive oil instead of coconut oil?
You sure can!
I love me a good curry recipe!! Yours looks so rich and thick. Thanks for sharing!
Hi Marcy! Thanks so much! And you are very welcome! 🙂
Made this for my family tonight! It was wonderful! Tomorrow we are making naan to go with this dish!
Do you think some roasted veggie may be good with it? What would you or the group recommend?
Hi Sarah! That’s great, thanks so much! Yes roasted veggies (like carrots, broccoli, potatoes or asparagus) would go great with this recipe. I also like to serve this curry with rice and a big mixed green salad!
Lady Sarah says
I have made this recipe with the chickpeas and also replaced the chickpeas with chicken qnd added shredded carrots…Oh my sooo yummy! Thanks for an awesome recipe!! This is my new fav!
Hi Sarah! I’m so glad you like the recipe! You’re very welcome! Thanks for letting me know. 🙂
I did this today and added just a handful of red lentils and it was deliciously creamy and thick!
Really love it and so so easy!
Hi Danielle! I’m so glad you liked the curry recipe! Thanks for your kind words!
Best ever, I used coconut cream instead of coconut milk. Wow!
Hi John, thanks so much! I am so glad you liked the curry! 🙂
I just made this dish for dinner tonight. It is so good! It was quick and easy to put together and paired with Stonefire naan, delicious! I didn’t change anything since this was the first time I made it. It comes together so nicely that I probably won’t ever change it.
Hi Rita! That makes me so happy! Thanks so much for your kind words and for letting me know!
Laurie Milholland says
Easy and delicious
Thanks so much Laurie! 🙂
I made your recipe this evening for my folks and myself, the only thing I added was 1/2 a vegetable stock cube.
We happily had your dish with a crisp naan bread, leaving us with 3 full and content bellies!
Thank You, so much!
Hi Paulina, thank you so much for letting me know. I’m very happy you enjoyed the chickpea curry! And you’re very welcome, be sure to let me know if you make any of my other recipes! 🙂