This super-easy recipe for Quinoa Fried “Rice” is a healthier spin on a takeout favorite! A flavorful, protein-packed vegetarian main or side dish.
This 30-minute recipe has all of the delicious flavor of traditional fried rice, but gets a boost of protein and nutrition by substituting quinoa for rice. Just like my classic Chinese Fried Rice recipe, this dish is prepared in stages so that everything gets cooked to perfection.
Begin by cooking your quinoa in a saucepan. To cook quinoa, just remember this simple ratio: 1 cup quinoa to 2 parts liquid. For the liquid in this recipe I used water, but you can also use chicken or vegetable broth to add an extra layer of flavor. Next, scramble the eggs in some sesame oil in a frying pan and then set them aside once they are done cooking. This is done so that they don’t overcook while the rest of the ingredients are in the pan. Then, sauté the vegetables and aromatics until tender. Add the cooked quinoa, soy sauce and Sriracha and stir-fry the mixture for a couple minutes. Finally, add back your eggs and sprinkle with sliced green onions. Dinner is served!
The recipe definitely lends itself to simple modifications, so feel free to add some shredded chicken, shrimp or tofu to make it a more complete meal.
If you want more easy and delicious recipes like this one, sign up for my email list! You will get a copy of my Simple Suppers eCookbook, plus my new recipes delivered straight to your inbox, all for FREE!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil, divided
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Add quinoa and water to a saucepan, then bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let sit, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a large frying pan set over medium heat. Add the eggs and scramble constantly until cooked through. Transfer eggs to a separate plate.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of sesame oil in frying pan. Add onion, garlic, carrots and peas and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the cooked quinoa, soy sauce and Sriracha. Stir-fry mixture for about 2 minutes.
- Add the eggs back to the pan and stir until combined. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.