This Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe is a cold weather favorite! A hearty, flavorful soup that makes a perfect light lunch or dinner.
Homemade mushroom soup tastes so much better than canned, and is so simple to make! Pair it with a side salad or a sandwich for a satisfying meal.
The most important ingredient in this recipe is, you guessed it, fresh mushrooms! You can use just about any kind of mushrooms in this recipe. I used a combination of cremini and white button mushrooms this time, and they worked perfectly.
How to Make Creamy Mushroom Soup:
Begin this recipe by cooking the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil and butter. The mushrooms are going to get pureed, but I like this soup to have a texture that is both smooth and chunky. That’s why I like to remove some of the mushrooms from the pot at this point and set them aside (they will be added back at the end). Next, add the shallots, garlic and thyme and sauté until fragrant. Then, add the broth and allow the mixture to simmer for a bit.
Next, blend everything together until smooth. I prefer to use an immersion blender, but you can use a regular/traditional blender instead and just return the soup to the pot when you are done. Important: If you do use a traditional blender, be sure to blend the hot soup in batches, and only fill the blender up until it is halfway full. Finally, stir in the cream, season with a little S & P and add back the mushrooms you set aside from before. Soup’s ready!
For this Creamy Mushroom Soup Recipe, I recommend:
- Pot/Dutch Oven – This one is super affordable and the quality is excellent. I love using it to make soups, stews and chili.
- Immersion/Hand Blender – This is the one I use and love! I have had mine for years and it is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I use it all the time to make soups, smoothies and sauces.
This Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe is a cold-weather favorite! A hearty, flavorful soup that makes a perfect light lunch or dinner.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup minced shallots
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
In a large pot, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 8 - 10 minutes until browned.
- Remove about a cup of the cooked mushrooms from the pot and set aside.
- Add the shallots, garlic and thyme. Sauté for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the broth and bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup, or purée the soup in batches in a traditional blender.
Stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add reserved mushrooms back to the pot and stir to combine. Serve hot.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.