This Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe is keto, low carb, and gluten-free! It is a hearty, cold weather favorite that makes a perfect appetizer, side dish, light lunch, or dinner. Learn how to make homemade cream of mushroom soup with this quick and easy recipe.
Homemade cream of mushroom soup tastes so much better than canned, and is so simple to make! Pair it with a side salad or a sandwich for a satisfying meal.
The most important ingredient in this recipe is, you guessed it, fresh mushrooms! You can use just about any kind of mushrooms in this recipe. I used a combination of cremini and white button mushrooms this time, and they worked perfectly.
How to Make Creamy Mushroom Soup
Begin this recipe by cooking the mushrooms in a bit of olive oil and butter. The mushrooms are going to get pureed, but I like this soup to have a texture that is both smooth and chunky. That’s why I like to remove some of the mushrooms from the pot at this point and set them aside (they will be added back at the end).
Add the shallots, garlic and thyme and sauté them a bit until fragrant. Then, add the broth and allow the mixture to simmer for a bit.
Next, blend everything together until smooth. I prefer to use an immersion blender, but you can use a regular/traditional blender instead and just return the soup to the pot when you are done.
Important: If you do use a traditional blender, be sure to blend the hot soup in batches, and only fill the blender up until it is halfway full.
Finally, stir in the cream, season with a little S & P, and add back the mushrooms you set aside from before. Soup’s ready!
More soup recipes to try
For this Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe, I recommend:
- Kitchen and Food Scale – A scale makes it so easy to measure the perfect amount of mushrooms to use for this dish. A kitchen scale is also super useful when you need to accurately measure the weight of pasta, meat, or flour to use in recipes.
- Immersion/Hand Blender – This is the one I use and love! I have had mine for years and it is one of my favorite kitchen tools. I use it all the time to make soups, smoothies and sauces.
If you make this Creamy Mushroom Soup recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
Creamy Mushroom Soup (Keto, Low Carb, GF)
- In a large pot, heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and cook for 8 - 10 minutes until browned.
- Remove about a cup of the cooked mushrooms from the pot and set aside.
- Add the shallots, garlic and thyme. Sauté for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant.
- Stir in the broth and bring mixture to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup, or purée the soup in batches in a traditional blender.
- Stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add reserved mushrooms back to the pot and stir to combine. Serve hot.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!