This Easy Butter Chicken recipe is creamy, packed with spicy curry flavor, and is so unbelievably simple to make. It is a keto, low-carb, and gluten-free recipe that is ideal for weeknight dinners, entertaining, and meal prep. Learn how to make the easiest homemade butter chicken with this quick recipe!
Restaurant-Style Butter Chicken, Made Easy
Butter Chicken is one of the most popular Indian dishes, for good reason. It is a crowd-pleasing dish that is hearty, creamy, and absolutely delicious. It is definitely one of my all-time favorite meals, so I just had to share my version of it on the blog.
A lot of the time when you read recipes for Butter Chicken, they involve a long list of ingredients and a variety of spices that a lot of people do not readily have on hand. Since I am all about easy-to-make food on my blog, I always try to share the simplest versions of recipes wherever possible.
This recipe is sort of a short-cut version, since it uses pre-made Butter Chicken curry paste. The curry paste includes all the spices, flavorings and aromatics required for Butter Chicken, all mixed together in one handy jar. I personally really like Patak’s Butter Chicken Paste. It is full of rich, aromatic curry flavor without being overly spicy. You can find it in the international foods section of the grocery store or online.
How to Make Easy Butter Chicken
To make homemade butter chicken, simply:
- Marinate the Chicken: Slice up the chicken into cubes and then combine it with the curry paste. Set it aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Cook the Chicken: Sauté the marinated chicken in oil with garlic and ginger until it is nearly cooked.
- Add the Liquids: Stir in the crushed tomatoes and heavy cream. Let it simmer until the chicken is completed cooked through and serve!
How easy is that? If you want to prepare in advance, you can cut up the chicken the night before and leave it to marinate in the curry paste in the fridge overnight. Then the next day all you have to do is cook it up!
Generally, I like to serve Butter Chicken with Basmati rice, but it also goes well with naan bread or any other type of flatbread. If you’re on a keto or low-carb diet, you can serve it with cauliflower rice instead.
More Indian Chicken Curry Recipes
Craving more creamy chicken curry? Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Creamy Coconut Chicken Curry
- Authentic Butter Chicken from Scratch
- Chicken Curry with Evaporated Milk
- Homemade Chicken Tikka Masala
If you make this Easy Butter Chicken recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Easy Butter Chicken Recipe (Murgh Makhani)
- In a mixing bowl, combine chicken and butter chicken curry paste. Allow mixture to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Heat the ghee in a large saucepan over medium heat. When the ghee is hot, add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for about 5 minutes, until almost cooked through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and add crushed tomatoes. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in heavy cream and simmer for another 5 minutes until chicken is completely cooked through.
- If you can, I highly recommend using naturally-raised chicken, organic heavy cream, and grass-fed ghee or butter in this recipe for maximum health benefits.
- Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.