This Vegetarian Dirty Rice recipe is easy, satisfying, and perfect for busy weeknights. It makes a spicy one-pot vegan meal that the whole family will love. Learn how to make homemade Cajun rice with this fast and simple skillet recipe.
This Vegetarian Dirty Rice recipe is made with Cajun spices, fresh vegetables, red kidney beans, and rice. It is inspired by traditional Creole meat-based dirty rice. You will love this meatless version, because it is perfectly seasoned, healthy, and super satiating.
In addition, this rice dinner recipe is so easy to make. Everything gets cooked together in one pan, from scratch, in less than 30 minutes. That means minimal time and cleanup is required to prepare this Louisiana-style meal.
Another reason why this recipe is a keeper is because it is budget-friendly. So, it is perfect for anyone that is looking to cut down spending on food and groceries. It makes an inexpensive meal that is simple, filling, and will feed the family quickly. This dinner recipe is also freezer-friendly, vegan, and gluten-free.
How To Make Vegetarian Dirty Rice
Here are the basic steps to make this homemade meatless Cajun rice recipe:
- Cook the veggies: Sauté a vegetable medley of chopped onion, celery, and bell pepper in a bit of olive oil. These three vegetables are collectively known as “the holy trinity of Cajun cuisine”, as they provide the flavor base for the dish.
- Add the spices: Next, a blend of Cajun spices is added and lightly cooked until fragrant. Gently cooking the spices allows them to bloom and release their aromas.
- Add the rice, beans & broth: Stir in the rice, canned red kidney beans and broth. Leave everything alone to cook, until all of the liquid has been absorbed by the rice. Garnish with cilantro (if desired) and then serve up your rice nice and warm.
That’s it! This is truly a quick and easy Creole-style rice dinner recipe that is absolutely bursting with piquant flavor.
More Vegetarian Rice Recipes
Looking for more meatless rice dinner inspiration? Here are a some of my favorite vegetarian rice recipes:
- Pineapple Fried Rice
- Vegetarian Burrito Bowl
- The Best Vegetable Fried Rice
- Wild Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash
- Thai Coconut Curry Rice
If you make this vegetarian and vegan Cajun Rice recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Don’t miss out! Click here to get exclusive discounts on my favorite healthy products and resources!
Vegetarian Dirty Rice (One-Pot Vegan Cajun Rice Recipe)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Optional garnish: Chopped fresh cilantro
- In a pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and bell pepper. Sauté for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Stir in rice, broth and beans. Season liberally with salt and pepper.
- Increase heat to high and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, if using, and serve warm.
This post was originally published on December 12, 2020. It has been updated to include new information and helpful content.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
I made this last night and everyone enjoyed it! I did cut down on the cayenne and omit the green bell pepper but it was still very flavorful. Overall I still prefer to make rice in my rice cooker but despite my fussing and anxiety it did cook properly!
Hi Erin, thanks so much for letting me know! I’m so happy everyone liked the recipe! 🙂
I made this tonight, and we all loved it. Thank you for the great recipe.
Hi Adey, thank you so much! I’m so happy you enjoyed the recipe. 🙂
This was so good and so easy! My family loved the Cajun spices, the heat level was perfect! I made it for Fat Tuesday, and topped it with popcorn shrimp, and a drizzle of Cajun aioli. One pot dish (except for the shrimp which I made in the air fryer) meant easy cleanup. I will definitely make this again and again!! Thank you!
Hi Anne, thank you so much for letting me know! Oh my goodness, popcorn shrimp and Cajun aioli sound absolutely delicious!! You’re very welcome, I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe!
I made this dish and for some reason my rice didn’t cook properly. I really do think it was the rice. I have made the meat version when I was eating meat and it turned out perfectly. The season if the fish was good. I will try again tomorrow.
Hi Ezella, thanks for letting me know about your experience. I have never had an issue with the rice not cooking properly in this recipe. As long as you follow the recipe instructions completely, it should work. I hope you do get to try the recipe again and that it turns out well for you!
Really enjoyed this, added a chopped tomato and touch of tomato paste, some frozen green beans and corn also a couple of bay leaves.
Hi Rowan, thank you so much for letting me know. The additions you made sound delicious. I’m very happy you enjoyed the recipe! Please let me know if you try any of my other recipes. 🙂
Thank you, Jedd! 🙂
Also added tomato paste. Delicious! Thanks very much. Family lived it. Be making it again
Thank you so much, Al! I am very happy you and your family enjoyed my recipe.
Perfect dirty rice to go with jerk chicken! After making it a few times, we tried doubling the spices and it’s super yummy if you like spicy food. Thanks for the great recipe, it’s a keeper! My husband won’t accept any other dirty rice recipe now lol
Hi Mandy, you’re very welcome! I’m so glad you and your husband enjoyed my dirty rice recipe! Thank you so much for letting me know. 🙂 Please let me know if you try any of my other recipes too!