This Asian Spicy Noodle Soup recipe is vegetarian, vegan and ready to eat in just 20 minutes! It is absolutely bursting with complex and bold flavors, but is unbelievably easy to make. Learn how to make homemade Asian noodle soup with this quick and simple one-pot recipe.
You are going to adore this Asian Spicy Noodle Soup recipe, because it is so effortless, tasty and satisfying. It makes an ideal weeknight dinner, because it uses common ingredients and takes mere minutes to cook. In addition, everything gets cooked together in one pot. That means minimal cleanup is required to prepare this delicious, soul-warming soup.
Asian Spicy Noodle Soup Ingredients
Here are a few quick notes about the ingredients you will need to make this homemade Asian Spicy Noodle Soup recipe:
- Sesame oil: I like using this as the cooking oil in this recipe, because it has a toasted, nutty taste that enhances the rest of the flavors in this soup.
- Yellow onion: This single ingredient adds so much complexity and depth of flavor to the broth. Don’t skip it!
- Garlic and ginger: These two aromatics are non-negotiable in Asian cooking. Always use freshly grated/minced garlic and ginger for best results.
- Vegetable stock: This will serve as the base for the soup broth. If you’re not vegetarian or vegan, chicken broth can be used instead.
- Tamari: This is essentially gluten-free soy sauce. I recommend always purchasing high-quality organic tamari and soy sauce. Soybeans are one of the top GMO and pesticide-laden crops, so it’s worth spending the extra money on organic.
- Sriracha: It adds a good amount of heat without overpowering the rest of the flavors in the dish.
- Rice vinegar: A splash of vinegar adds a bit of much-needed acidity and balances the rest of the flavors in the soup.
- Noodles: I use thin rice noodles when making this soup recipe. I love them because they only take a few minutes to cook.
- Chopped fresh cilantro, green onions and sesame seeds: These garnishes are totally optional, but I recommend using them because they give the soup a huge burst of freshness and texture, as well as a nice bright pop of color.
How to Make Asian Spicy Noodle Soup
Alright, here is a brief overview of how to make Asian Spicy Noodle Soup (detailed instructions are included in the recipe below as always):
- Cook the aromatics: Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger and in a bit of sesame oil until softened and fragrant.
- Add the liquids: Stir in the broth and water and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the flavorings: Add the tamari, Sriracha and rice vinegar.
- Cook the noodles: Add the rice noodles to the pot and leave them to sit in the broth until tender.
- Garnish and serve: Top your soup with the optional garnishes (if using) and serve it up nice and hot.
How easy is that?! This is truly a fast and simple spicy soup recipe that is packed with flavor.
How do you keep noodles from getting soggy in soup?
For best results, only let the noodles cook in the broth for a few minutes (just until they are softened) and then serve the soup right away. I find that if the noodles sit in the soup for too long after I make it, they tend to absorb a lot of the liquid and get very mushy.
Possible Recipe Variations
Want to customize this Asian noodle soup recipe a bit? Feel free to…
- Add protein: You could add thinly sliced beef steak, shrimp, tofu, or shredded chicken to make the soup even heartier and more satiating.
- Make it milder: If you don’t like much heat in your food, I would recommend using half the amount of Sriracha the recipe calls for.
- Make it spicier: If you do like a lot of heat in your food, feel free to add more Sriracha and/or a few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Add veggies: You’re welcome to add in whatever vegetables you might love in a soup. If you would like to save a step, you could also just add in a bag of a pre-chopped frozen stir-fry veggie mix.
More Spicy Asian Soup Recipes to try
If you’re looking for more Asian-style spicy soup inspiration, here are some of my favorites on the blog:
- Thai Shrimp Noodle Soup
- Coconut Curry Pumpkin Soup
- Spicy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Vegetarian Thai Noodle Soup
If you make this Asian Spicy Noodle Soup recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Asian Spicy Noodle Soup (Vegetarian & Vegan)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh grated ginger
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons organic tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- Optional garnishes: Sliced green onions, chopped fresh cilantro, and sesame seeds
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 4 minutes or until softened.
- Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the broth and water. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the tamari, Sriracha and rice vinegar.
- Add the rice noodles to the pot and allow them to sit for a few minutes until softened.
- Garnish with optional toppings, if using, and serve immediately.
- For best results, serve the soup right away once it is done cooking.
- If you are not vegetarian or vegan, you can substitute the vegetable broth with chicken broth.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.