This easy Brown Sugar Oatmeal recipe makes the best, creamiest oatmeal ever. A healthy, satisfying breakfast that requires only 5 ingredients and 15 minutes to make! Learn how to make homemade brown sugar oatmeal from scratch with this quick and simple recipe.
This simple oatmeal recipe using basic ingredients that you probably already have on hand in the kitchen, such as milk, egg, brown sugar, butter and rolled oats. I know that it’s not common to see an egg in the ingredient list for an oatmeal recipe, but it adds so much richness and creaminess to texture of the oatmeal. The egg also adds a boost of protein and makes it a power breakfast that will keep you feeling full all morning!
How to Make Brown Sugar Oatmeal
To make this homemade oatmeal recipe, simply:
- Make the flavor base: Combine the milk, egg, brown sugar, and butter in a pan.
- Add the oats: Stir in the rolled oats (use gluten-free if required) and simmer until thickened.
- Serve: Ladle the hot oatmeal into bowls and serve with your mix-ins or toppings of choice.
How to Customize Your Brown Sugar Oatmeal
The base recipe is perfect on its own, but feel free to add a splash of vanilla or a pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg to customize the flavor to your liking. For the photos in this post, I topped the oatmeal with fresh blackberries, chopped almonds, and an extra sprinkle of brown sugar.
Some more ideas for oatmeal toppings are:
- other kinds of fresh berries, such as raspberries or strawberries
- dried fruit, such as raisins or dried cranberries
- other types of chopped nuts, such as as walnuts, pistachios, cashews, or peanuts
- seeds, such as pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, ground flaxseed, or sunflower seeds
- chocolate chips
- shredded coconut or coconut flakes
- any nut butter, such as peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter
More Breakfast Recipes to Try:
If you make this Brown Sugar Oatmeal recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Optional toppings: Fresh berries and chopped nuts
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, egg, sugar and butter over medium heat until smooth.
- Stir in the oats and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 8 - 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with optional toppings, if using.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!