This easy Brown Sugar Oatmeal recipe makes the best, creamiest oatmeal ever. It is a healthy, satisfying breakfast that requires only 5 ingredients and 15 minutes to make! Learn how to make homemade brown sugar oatmeal from scratch with this quick and simple recipe.
Homemade Brown Sugar Oatmeal: The Perfect Breakfast
You are going to love this easy brown sugar oatmeal recipe, because it is made with simple, nutritious ingredients and it tastes amazingly delicious. I always like to make oatmeal from scratch, because that way I get to control the ingredients and the amount of sugar in it. Not only that, homemade oatmeal just tastes so much better than the oatmeal packets you buy from the store.
This homemade oatmeal recipe is made with basic ingredients that you probably already have on hand in the kitchen, such as milk, egg, brown sugar, butter and rolled oats. I know that it’s not common to see an egg in the ingredient list for an oatmeal recipe, but it adds so much richness and creaminess to texture of the oatmeal. The egg also adds a boost of protein and makes it a power breakfast that will keep you feeling full all morning!
How to Make Brown Sugar Oatmeal from Scratch
Full instructions are included in the recipe below. But as a brief overview, to make this homemade oatmeal recipe, simply:
- Make the flavor base: Combine the milk, egg, brown sugar, and butter in a pan.
- Add the oats: Stir in the rolled oats (use gluten-free if required) and simmer until thickened.
- Serve: Ladle the hot oatmeal into bowls and serve with your mix-ins or toppings of choice.
How to Customize Your Brown Sugar Oatmeal
The base recipe is perfect on its own, but feel free to customize the oatmeal to your liking. For the photos in this post, I topped the oatmeal with fresh blackberries, chopped almonds, and an extra sprinkle of brown sugar.
Customization options for oatmeal are truly endless, but here are some ideas for toppings and add-ins:
- Fresh berries: Raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, or strawberries
- Dried fruit: Raisins, dried cranberries, or dried cherries
- Chopped nuts: Walnuts, pecans, almonds, pistachios, cashews, or peanuts
- Seeds: Pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, ground flaxseed, or sunflower seeds
- Baking Chips: Chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, or peanut butter chips
- Coconut: Shredded coconut or coconut flakes
- Nut butter: Peanut butter, almond butter, or cashew butter
- Extract: A splash of vanilla or coconut extract
- Spices: A pinch of ground cinnamon or nutmeg
More Easy Breakfast Recipes to Try
Looking for more breakfast inspiration? Here are some of my favorites on the blog:
- Breakfast Quinoa Bowls
- Tomato Avocado Toast
- Strawberry Overnight Oats
- Breakfast Egg Muffins
- Healthy Breakfast Cookies
If you make this Brown Sugar Oatmeal recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Easy Homemade Brown Sugar Oatmeal
- 1 3/4 cups milk, of choice
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup rolled oats
- Optional toppings: Fresh berries and chopped nuts
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the milk, egg, sugar and butter over medium heat until smooth.
- Stir in the oats and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Garnish with optional toppings, if using, and serve warm.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Interested in starting your own blog? Check out my step-by-step guide for setting up your blog today!