This Honey Teriyaki Chicken recipe is super easy to make and tastes even better than takeout! You will love this recipe because it is made with clean and nourishing ingredients and is ready in just 15 minutes. Learn how to make homemade healthy teriyaki chicken with this quick recipe the whole family will love.
UPDATE: This post was originally published in July 2017 and has been updated to reflect new information and helpful content.
Healthy Teriyaki Chicken
This quick and easy Honey Teriyaki Chicken recipe makes a fabulous weeknight meal. It is high in protein, super tasty and takes mere minutes to prepare. This recipe is one you will want to add to your regular dinner rotation, because it delivers maximum flavor with minimum work. In addition, it is made with clean ingredients and is naturally gluten-free.
How to Make Honey Teriyaki Chicken
To make this healthy teriyaki chicken recipe, simply:
- Make the teriyaki sauce: First, whisk together a simple homemade teriyaki sauce, made from tamari, honey, rice wine vinegar and cornstarch.
- Stir-fry your chicken: Next, slice some boneless skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and stir-fry them with a bit of garlic and ginger in a wok or frying pan.
- Coat the chicken with sauce: Once the chicken is cooked, pour in the teriyaki sauce. Continue cooking until the sauce has reached a boil and has thickened to a consistency of a syrup.
- Garnish and serve: Top with green onions and sesame seeds if desired and serve with steamed rice and/or veggies.
How simple is that?! I bet you could whip up this dish in less time than it takes to get takeout.
Where to Get the Best Organic Chicken
I highly recommend purchasing and consuming free-range, organic chicken if you can. This is due to the fact that organic and naturally-raised meat is way more healthy, humane and better-tasting than conventional meat. And for the highest-quality organic chicken and other meats, I highly recommend using Butcher Box.
Butcher Box is an organic meat delivery service that sends antibiotic-free and no-hormones-added cuts directly to your doorstep. Their meat selection includes free-range chicken, heritage breed pork, wild-caught seafood, 100% grass-fed and grass-finished beef, and more.
If you would like to learn more about Butcher Box, I have written an in-depth Review of Butcher Box on the blog. However, if you would rather use another delivery service, check out this post: The Top Healthy and Organic Meat Delivery Companies. In that article, I discuss other sources for organic meat delivery online that might suit you better.
More Takeout-Inspired Recipes
Craving more Asian-style recipes? Here are some of my favorite recipes on the blog:
- Healthy Orange Chicken Stir-Fry
- Thai Coconut Curry Soup
- Japanese Sesame Chicken
- Simple Sesame Noodles
- The Best Chinese Fried Rice
For this Honey Teriyaki Chicken recipe, I recommend:
Here are a few pantry essentials that I suggest using to make this recipe. All of these ingredients can be ordered online from Thrive Market, which is an online retailer that sells healthy, organic food at wholesale prices. I like to think of it like Amazon (online retailer) meets Costco (wholesale prices) meets Whole Foods (all wholesome, junk-free foods).
- Avocado Oil – This is my favorite cooking oil to use for stir-frying, because it is one of the few oils with a high smoke point and neutral flavor that is actually good for you.
- Thrive Market Cornstarch – Only use cornstarch made from organic, non-GMO corn which contains no preservatives or artificial ingredients. Alternatively, you can use arrowroot starch as a thickening agent in the sauce for this recipe.
- San-J Tamari – I prefer using tamari rather than soy sauce, because it is gluten-free and has a richer and milder taste than regular soy sauce. This particular brand of tamari is organic, contains 100% whole soybeans, and uses unique, natural fermentation process that gives it an amazing, delectable taste.
If you’re interested in purchasing any of the above items, you’ll need to get a Thrive Market membership. However, if you’re a reader of my website, you will get an exclusive bonus when you sign up:
If you make this Easy Honey Teriyaki Chicken recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Honey Teriyaki Chicken (Quick, Easy & Healthy Recipe)
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons organic tamari (gluten-free soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Optional toppings: thinly sliced green onions and sesame seeds
- In a small bowl, whisk together the broth, tamari, honey, rice vinegar and cornstarch. Set aside.
- In a large skillet or wok set over medium-high heat, heat the oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute further until fragrant.
- Add the teriyaki sauce to the pan and stir to combine until the chicken is evenly coated. Continue cooking for about 3 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and has thickened.
- Top with green onions and sesame seeds if using. Serve warm with cooked rice, quinoa and/or vegetables.
- If possible, I highly recommend using organic chicken in this recipe for maximum health benefits.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.