This easy homemade Fudgy Cocoa Brownies recipe is the best ever! All you need is one bowl and a few pantry staples to make these rich, chewy and moist brownies from scratch. They are perfect for gifting during Christmas and the holidays. Try them once and you will never buy boxed brownie mix again!
UPDATE: This post was originally published in December 2017 and has been updated to reflect new information and helpful content.
Let me start by saying this: I love chocolate. I have a huge sweet tooth, so I am a big fan of desserts in general, but chocolate is my weakness. I know I am not alone, and these fudgy brownies are so rich and decadent that they are sure to satisfy anyone in need of a chocolate fix.
This brownie recipe is also super simple and convenient – all you need is 30 minutes and one bowl to mix everything together. Perhaps best of all, it uses ingredients that you most likely already have on hand in your pantry and fridge. That means this is an ideal last-minute baking recipe for times when you have unexpected guests or if you get hit by a sudden, unstoppable sugar craving.
Tips for Making the Fudgy Cocoa Brownies from Scratch
Here are a few important things I have learned over the years about how to make the best homemade brownies:
- When lining the baking pan with foil, be sure to leave enough overhang on the sides so that you can easily lift the cooked brownie out as a whole before cutting it into smaller pieces.
- Spread out the brownie batter in an even layer when adding it to the lined pan, to ensure even baking.
- Once the brownie is done baking, allow it to cool completely before slicing it. This helps ensure a nice, clean cut and allows the rich, chocolatey flavor to develop even further.
Are Brownies Good for You?
It depends on the recipe. I wouldn’t consider these brownies healthy, because they are made with sugar, butter, and flour. But, they are homemade, so you know exactly what’s inside the batter, which is better than eating store-bought brownies.
However, pleasure and health go hand in hand. Healthy eating can definitely include partaking in a reasonable amount of desserts, chocolate and calories. Portion size and frequency are important concepts to keep in mind, so enjoy recipes like this one in moderation. 🙂
More Chocolate Baking Recipes
If you love chocolate as much as I do, be sure to also check out these other recipes:
- Soft Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Easy Double Chocolate Muffins
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Nutella Brownies
For this Cocoa Brownies recipe, I recommend:
Finally, here are some tools that will make this cocoa brownie recipe an absolute breeze:
- Mixing Bowls – This is a 3-piece set that is great for combining ingredients. I love how easy they are to store and clean.
- Square Baking Pan – This pan is the perfect size for this recipe. It also works beautifully for making bars and cake.
If you make this Fudgy Cocoa Brownies recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
The Best Fudgy Cocoa Brownies Recipe (Chewy & Moist)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with aluminum foil, leaving some overhang on the sides for easy removal. Grease the foil and set aside.
- Add the melted butter to a large mixing bowl. Whisk in the cocoa, eggs, sugar and vanilla until combined.
- Stir in the flour and salt with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon until incorporated.
- Fold in the walnuts. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes until set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, lift the brownies out of the pan using the foil overhang on the sides and cut into squares.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
Ashika | Gardening Foodie says
Ooooooh I love fudgy brownies, the more chocolate in my life the better 🙂 These look so perfect Alia,and I love how easy your recipe is. And with the crunchy walnuts…even better.
Thanks so much Ashika!! ♥ I like adding walnuts because I find they balance out the sweetness a bit and add good texture too!
Katherine | Love In My Oven says
Should brownies ever not be fudgy!? Haha these look SO good, and you’ve hit the “fudge” factor right on the money!! Pinned!
Hi Katherine! I was reading an article the other day that said people either like their brownies to be fudgy or cakey, and I am definitely on Team Fudgy!! Haha 🙂 Thanks so much my dear!
Shannon @loveatfirstbento says
I’ve been searching for a great go-to basic brownie recipe, and I think this may just be it! Love that it can all be mixed together in one bowl too (I’m always a fan of less dishes!). Adding this to my bookmarks for sure!
Hi Shannon! Oh awesome! This is my all-time favorite brownie recipe, so I think you will like it! Let me know what you think when you do make it! 🙂
Your brownies look so fudgy Alia!! Would love to try these! Thanks for the tips on cutting these into such neat squares!
Thanks so much Deepika!! YOU SHOULD MAKE THEM!!! My dad loves them! Haha 🙂 You’re welcome! I hope you have a great week my dear!
I love brownies – the fudgier the better, for sure! And I always appreciate a homemade recipe for a pan smaller than 9×13. I like that this is a one-bowl recipe, too – quick and easy. Thanks for the recipe!
Hi Laura! I agree – fudgier = better! Yeah it’s definitely nice to make small batches of desserts sometimes! You’re welcome, thanks for your kind words!! 🙂