The only recipe for homemade chocolate chip cookies you will ever need! This recipe makes cookies that are super soft, chewy, and full of chocolate chips. Keep reading to learn how to make the best soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies ever.
Chocolate Chip Cookies: The Ultimate Sweet Treat
Chocolate chip cookies are a such a classic, comforting baked treat. They are a fantastic go-to dessert or snack and are adored by both children and adults alike. They can be enjoyed warm, cold, dunked in milk, with ice cream and even unbaked in dough form.
This recipe is my all-time favorite, tried, and tested until perfect chocolate chip cookies recipe. It makes the softest, chewiest cookies ever, with a perfect ratio of chocolate chips to dough. This recipe is seriously the best!
What is the secret to making soft cookies?
Cornstarch is the secret to making cookies soft and chewy. These cookies almost melt in your mouth when they’re fresh out of the oven and remain soft in the center once they are cooled. The dough also has a higher ratio of brown sugar to granulated sugar, which gives the cookies more of a chewy texture than a crisp one.
The other secret to their tender consistency is that they are baked until the edges are set, but are just lightly golden on top. They are supposed to look soft in the center when you remove them from oven, so resist the urge to leave them in the oven for longer. After they sit on the hot baking sheet for a few minutes to cool off, they will be cooked through to perfection.
More Soft and Chewy Cookie Recipes to Try
Looking for more baking inspiration? Here are some of my favorite cookie recipes:
- Easy Ginger Molasses Cookies
- Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal Cookies
- The Best Rolo Cookies
- Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Fall Pumpkin Spice Cookies
Chocolate Chip Cookie Storage and Make-Ahead Tips
The cookies will stay fresh stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a week. If you want to make these cookies in advance, you can freeze the cookies after baking them and they will be good for up to three months.
Unbaked cookie dough balls also freeze well and will last up to three months. Bake the dough balls in their frozen state for an extra minute or two in the oven (do not thaw them prior to baking).
Another good make-ahead tip is to freeze the unbaked cookie dough balls, which will last up to three months in your freezer. To do this, roll your cookie dough into balls and then place them on a baking sheet. Place the baking sheet in the fridge for 1 hour to chill (this solidifies them so that they don’t stick together in the freezer).
Then put the dough balls in a ziplock bag and store it in your freezer. When you are ready to eat them, just remove the cookie dough balls from the freezer and allow them to thaw on the counter for 20 minutes before baking. By preparing and freezing your dough in advance, you can enjoy freshly-baked cookies on the spot whenever you want! 🙂
Are Chocolate Chip Cookies Good for You?
It depends on the recipe. I wouldn’t call these chocolate chip cookies nutritious, since they are made with butter, all-purpose flour, and sugar. But, they are homemade, so you know exactly what’s inside the batter, which is better than eating store-bought chocolate chip cookies.
However, pleasure and health go hand in hand. Healthy eating can definitely include partaking in a reasonable amount desserts, chocolate and calories. Frequency and portion size are important concepts to keep in mind, so enjoy cookie recipes like this one in moderation. 🙂
For this Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, I recommend:
Here are some kitchen tools that will make preparing this recipe a breeze:
- Mixing Bowls – This is a 3-piece set that is great for combining ingredients. I love how easy they are to store and clean.
- Hand Mixer – For a simple baking job like this, a small hand-held mixer is really all you need. It costs a fraction of the price of a traditional stand mixer and it works great for making cookies and cakes.
If you make this Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
The Best Soft and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (177ºC). Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, using a hand-held mixer or a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream together the butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat until combined. Stir in the chocolate chips with a large spoon or rubber spatula.
- Shape the dough into balls, containing about 2 tablespoons of dough each, and place on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until edges are lightly browned, but centers are still soft. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.