This energizing, homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake recipe is a great way to start your day or replenish your body after a workout. It is super simple to make and is refined sugar-free. Made with nutritious, clean ingredients like peanut butter, cocoa powder, banana, protein powder, milk, honey, and vanilla. Learn how to make a healthy homemade protein shake with this quick and easy recipe!
It cannot be denied that chocolate and peanut butter are a match made in heaven. And they are even more divine when you can indulge in them without any guilt. This nourishing shake is bursting with peanut butter chocolate flavor, but is made with all natural ingredients and contains no refined sugars.
This smoothie recipe makes a healthy, protein-packed breakfast that will kick-start your day and will keep you feeling full all morning. It is also an ideal post-workout shake that will refuel your energy and help your muscles to heal after exercising.
Are Protein Shakes Good for Weight Loss?
As long as protein shakes are made with clean, non-processed ingredients, they are excellent for weight loss. Protein shakes are rich in protein (hence the name) and protein is an important nutrient for weight loss. Getting a good dose of protein in your diet decreases your appetite, increases your metabolism, and helps you lose body fat without losing muscle.
Is it Better to Drink a Protein Shake Before or After a Workout?
Research has shown that protein helps your muscles to repair and rebuild after exercise. Consequently, many people drink protein shakes after their workouts to aid this process.
However, new studies suggest that for increasing muscle strength and size, the amount of protein you consume per day is more important than when you consume it. Therefore, you can choose which time you prefer or is most convenient for you. Personally, I always opt to have a protein shake after exercise, but that’s just what works for me.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake Ingredients
Alright, so let’s talk ingredients. To make this chocolate peanut butter protein shake recipe, you will need:
- Cocoa powder: This adds rich, natural chocolate flavor. Be sure to use unsweetened, natural cocoa powder in this recipe.
- Banana: This gives your smoothie a rich and creamy consistency. It is also a great source of potassium and dietary fiber.
- Protein Powder: This boosts the protein content of your smoothie immensely. If you can, use a natural and organic protein powder. Select one that is free of any additives, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or sweeteners.
- Peanut Butter: This adds additional protein and nutty flavor. Not all nut butters are created equal, so I recommend using one that has no added sugars, unhealthy oils, or preservatives.
- Milk: This serves as the liquid base for the smoothie. I usually use low-fat dairy milk.
- Honey: This adds natural and unrefined sweetness. Not all packaged honey is created equal, so I recommend using one that is 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered for optimal health benefits.
- Ice: This helps thicken the shake. Although, if I don’t have any ice in the freezer, I just make my protein shake without it.
- Vanilla extract: This adds just a hint of sweet vanilla flavor. Make sure you use the real, natural stuff and not anything artificial.
How to Make a Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake
This recipe could not be easier. To make this homemade protein shake recipe, simply:
- Add all of the ingredients – milk, banana, peanut butter, protein powder, ice, honey, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract – to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Then serve it up right away.
That’s it! 🙂
Tips for Making this Homemade Protein Shake Recipe
Here are some pointers I have learned over the years about how to make the best homemade protein shakes:
- When adding your ingredients to your blender, always add the liquid (in this case, the milk) first near the blades. Doing this will help your blender to run a bit more easily whenever you are making a shake.
- Use a good-quality, high-powered blender that will easily break up frozen fruit, vegetables, ice, and any other dense ingredients into oblivion.
- If you don’t think you need a large high-powered blender, an individual-sized blender is a good alternative. The biggest benefits of using a small blender are that it will help you save time on clean-up and it also takes up less counter space.
Possible Recipe Variations
This homemade protein shake recipe is very flexible with regards to variations. For example, feel free to…
- Use non-dairy milk: I generally use dairy milk when making smoothies, but you can use any kind of milk you like. Unsweetened almond, coconut, soy, hemp, oat, or any other type of plant-based milk are all great options.
- Add some spice: A pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg taste delicious in smoothies.
- Swap in a different sweetener: Instead of honey, you can substitute another natural and unrefined sweetener, such as maple syrup or agave nectar. Alternatively, you can throw in one or two pitted dates instead of a liquid sweetener.
- Add some collagen: Stirring collagen peptides into shakes boosts their protein content even further. Collagen is also known to improve the condition of skin, hair, nails, joints, ligaments, and is great for gut health. I recommend using one that is all-natural, unflavored, and unsweetened.
Those are just a few suggestions, so feel free to experiment with whatever ingredient swaps or additions that you would like. 🙂
The Easiest Way to Make Protein Shakes
If you drink protein shakes on a regular basis, you need to check out protein shake delivery services. Once you sign up for one online, everything you need to make nourishing protein smoothies gets sent to your front door. If you want to learn more about my favorite protein shake delivery services, check out this post I wrote: The Top 7 Protein Shake Delivery Companies. In that article, I review and rank my favorite online delivery companies for healthy protein smoothies.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
Looking for more DIY smoothie inspiration? Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake
- Breakfast Green Smoothie
- How to Make a Homemade Protein Shake
- Pear Banana Smoothie
If you make this Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake
- Add all ingredients to a blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.