This energizing, homemade Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake recipe is a great way to start your day or replenish your body after a workout. It is super simple to make and is refined sugar-free. Made with healthy, clean ingredients like peanut butter, cocoa powder, banana, protein powder, milk, honey, and vanilla. Learn how to make a homemade protein shake with this quick and easy recipe!
It cannot be denied that chocolate and peanut butter are a match made in heaven. And they are even more divine when you can indulge in them without any guilt. This nourishing shake is bursting with peanut butter chocolate flavor, but is made with all natural ingredients and contains no refined sugars.
This smoothie recipe makes a healthy, protein-packed breakfast that will kick-start your day and will keep you feeling full all morning. It is also an ideal post-workout shake that will refuel your energy and help your muscles to heal after exercising.
Are Protein Shakes Good for Weight Loss?
As long as protein shakes are made with clean, non-processed ingredients, they are excellent for weight loss. Protein shakes are rich in protein (hence the name) and protein is an important nutrient for weight loss.
Getting a good dose of protein in your diet decreases your appetite, increases your metabolism, and helps you lose body fat without losing muscle.
Is it Better to Drink a Protein Shake Before or After a Workout?
Research has shown that protein helps your muscles to repair and rebuild after exercise. Consequently, many people drink protein shakes after their workouts to aid this process.
However, new studies suggest that for increasing muscle strength and size, the amount of protein you consume per day is more important than when you consume it. Therefore, you can choose which time you prefer or is most convenient for you. Personally, I always opt to have a protein shake after exercise, but that’s just what works for me.
More Healthy Shake Recipes to try
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake Ingredients
Alright, so let’s talk ingredients. To make this chocolate peanut butter protein shake recipe, you will need:
- Peanut Butter: Not all nut butters are created equal, so I recommend using one that has no added sugars or preservatives. I use this one.
- Cocoa powder: Be sure to use unsweetened, natural cocoa powder in this recipe.
- Milk: I usually use dairy milk, but you can use any type of milk you like. Almond, coconut, soy, or any other type of plant-based milk are all great options.
- Protein Powder: If you can, use natural protein powder. Select one that is free of any additives, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or sweeteners. I use and recommend this one.
- Banana: This is pretty straight forward – just use a nice, ripe peeled banana.
- Honey: Not all packaged honey is created equal, so I recommend using one that is 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered for optimal health benefits. I use this one.
- Ice: I like to add ice because it thickens the shake. Although, if I don’t have any ice in the freezer, I just make my protein shake without it.
- Vanilla extract: Make sure you use the real, natural stuff and not anything artificial. I like to add just a small drop of it to add a hint of vanilla flavor.
How to Make a Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake
To make this homemade protein shake recipe, simply:
- Add all of the ingredients – milk, banana, peanut butter, protein powder, ice, honey, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract – to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy. Then serve it up right away.
That’s it! 🙂
Tips for Making this Homemade Protein Shake Recipe
Here are some pointers I have learned over the years about how to make the best homemade protein shakes:
- When adding your ingredients to your blender, always add the liquid (in this case, the milk) first near the blades. Doing this will help your blender to run a bit more easily whenever you are making a shake.
- Use a Vitamix Blender – it is THE BEST blender for smoothies! It breaks up frozen fruit, leafy greens, dense vegetables and any other crunchy ingredients into oblivion – with no chunks and easy clean-up. You can check one out on Amazon here.
How to Save Time and Money on Protein Shakes
If drinking a morning smoothie or protein shake is a part of your regular breakfast routine, I highly recommend checking out SmoothieBox. SmoothieBox is a monthly smoothie kit delivery service that is organic, nutrient-dense and free of added sugars.
SmoothieBox’s Super Smoothies were created to save time, simplify the morning, and make breakfast easy and nutritious. They are packed with the balanced macronutrients you need to fuel your busy day and will keep you feeling full and energetic for hours.
Each box comes with 20 smoothie packs that are filled with frozen fruits and vegetables, nuts, and optional grass-fed collagen protein powder. Each shake is ready in less than 3 minutes and tastes absolutely delicious! The cost is less than $2.50 per serving and delivery is FREE.
Your SmoothieBox should arrive within a week after you place your order (in a 100% recyclable cooler) and you can cancel your subscription at any time. AND FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY:
- SmoothieBox is offering a one-time box, instead of only subscriptions. You may choose during checkout if you wish to have a monthly subscription or a one-time order.
- You will get FREE SHIPPING on any order
- You can customize your box with only the flavors you want easily during checkout.
- The price of collagen protein powder has been dropped by 50% to just $1/packet of collagen.
- My readers will get an additional discount on their order using the link and code below
If you make this Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake recipe, let me know! Rate it and leave a comment below, because I love hearing from you! 🙂
Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake
- Add all ingredients to a blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.