This healthy Banana Protein Shake recipe is made with clean ingredients like banana, natural protein powder, milk, and honey. It makes an ideal breakfast smoothie or post-workout shake, because it is nourishing, refined sugar-free, and super easy to make. Learn how to make a homemade protein shake with this quick and simple recipe!
You are going to love this banana protein smoothie recipe, because it is so easy to make and is chock-full of nutritious ingredients. It makes a fast, portable breakfast that will kick-start your day and will keep you feeling full all morning. It is also an ideal post-workout shake that will refuel your energy and help your muscles to heal after exercising.
Does a Banana Go Well in a Protein Shake?
Absolutely! Bananas are a great source of energy for the body and are perfect for eating before or after a workout. Bananas also add a good dose of potassium and dietary fiber to a protein shake. In addition, the mild flavor of a banana pairs well with any flavor protein powder.
Are Protein Shakes Good For You?
Yes! Protein shakes are an excellent choice for breakfast, a snack, or meal replacement. All adults need around 46-56 grams of protein each day and protein shakes are a convenient way to meet that requirement. The best protein shake recipes, in my opinion, rely on protein powder to provide protein. Protein powder has many benefits, including the following:
- Aids with weight loss
- Repairs muscles from exercise
- Functions as a appetite suppressant
- Boosts metabolism
- Helps build muscle and strength
You can use a plant-based protein powder (pea, chia, or brown rice) or an animal protein powder (whey, casein, or collagen), depending on your preferences. Just make sure the protein powder you use is free from additives, artificial sweeteners, and fillers. Lastly, always remember that organic is best.
Is it Better to Drink a Protein Shake Before or After a Workout?
A number of studies show that protein helps your muscles to repair and rebuild after exercise. For that reason, many people drink protein shakes after their workouts to aid this process.
However, recent research suggests the amount of protein you consume per day is more important than when you consume it for gaining muscle mass. Therefore, you can choose which time you prefer or is most convenient for you. Personally, I always opt to have a protein shake after exercise, but that’s just what works for me.
Are Protein Shakes Good for Weight Loss?
Yes! As long as protein shakes are made with clean, junk-free ingredients, they are great for weight loss. Protein shakes are a rich source of protein (hence the name) and protein is an important nutrient for weight loss.
As I stated earlier, getting an adequate amount of protein in your diet reduces your appetite and boosts your metabolism. Consuming a healthy dose of protein daily also helps you lose body fat without losing muscle.
Banana Protein Shake Ingredients
Alright, so let’s talk ingredients. To make this banana protein smoothie recipe, you will need:
- Protein Powder: This boosts the protein content of your smoothie immensely. If you can, use an organic and natural protein powder that contains no additives, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, or preservatives. I love and use this one from Thrive Market.
- Banana: This gives your smoothie a rich and creamy consistency. It is also a great source of potassium and dietary fiber.
- Milk: This serves as the liquid base for the smoothie. I usually use low-fat dairy milk.
- Honey: This adds natural and unrefined sweetness. Not all packaged honey is created equal, so I recommend using one that is 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered for optimal health benefits. I use this one from Thrive Market.
- Ice: This helps thicken the shake. Although, if I don’t have any ice in the freezer, I just make my protein shake without it.
The ingredients I’ve linked to above can be ordered from Thrive Market, which is an online retailer that sells healthy, organic food at wholesale prices. I like to think of it like Amazon (online store) meets Costco (low, wholesale prices) meets Whole Foods (all nutritious, junk-free foods). If you’re interested in purchasing anything from them, you’ll need to get a Thrive Market membership. However, if you’re a reader of my website, you will get an exclusive bonus when you sign up:
How to Make a Banana Protein Shake
This recipe could not be easier. To make this homemade banana protein shake recipe, simply:
- Add all of the ingredients – milk, banana, ice, honey, and protein powder – to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and serve it right away.
Tips for Making Homemade Protein Shakes
Here are some things I have learned over the years about making protein shakes:
- When adding your ingredients to your blender, always add the liquid (in this case, the milk) first near the blades. Doing this will help your blender to run a bit more smoothly whenever you are making a shake.
- Use a Vitamix Blender, because it is THE blender for making smoothies! A Vitamix is a high-powered blender that breaks up frozen fruit, vegetables, ice, and any other dense ingredients into oblivion – with no chunks and easy clean-up. Best of all, the Vitamix blender is super versatile, so you can also use it to make soups, sauces, and homemade nut butters. You can check one out on Amazon here.
- If you don’t think you need a Vitamix, an individual-sized blender such as a Magic Bullet is a good alternative. The biggest benefits of using a small blender are that it will help you save time on clean-up and it also takes up less counter space.
More Protein Shake Recipes to Try
Looking for more protein shake inspiration? Here are some of my favorite recipes on the blog:
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake
- How to Make a Homemade Protein Shake
- Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake
- Green Protein Smoothie
- Vanilla Protein Shake
Possible Recipe Variations
This homemade protein shake recipe is very flexible with regards to variations. For example, feel free to…
- Swap in non-dairy milk: I generally use dairy milk when making shakes, but you can use any kind of milk you like. Unsweetened almond, coconut, soy, hemp, oat, or any other type of plant-based milk are all fabulous options.
- Add some spice: A dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla all taste delicious in smoothies.
- Use a different sweetener: Instead of honey, you can substitute another natural and unrefined sweetener, such as maple syrup or agave nectar. Alternatively, you can throw in one or two pitted dates instead of a liquid sweetener.
- Stir in some collagen: Adding collagen peptides to shakes and smoothies boosts their protein content even further. Collagen is also known to improve the condition of skin, hair, nails, joints, ligaments, and is great for gut health. I recommend using one that is all-natural, unflavored, and unsweetened. I use this one from Thrive Market.
Those are just a few suggestions, so feel free to experiment with whatever ingredient swaps or additions that sound good to you. 🙂
The Easiest Way to Make Protein Shakes at Home
If having a morning smoothie or protein shake is a part of your regular breakfast routine, I highly recommend checking out SmoothieBox. SmoothieBox is a monthly smoothie/protein shake kit delivery service that is organic, nutrient-dense and free of added sugars.
SmoothieBox’s Super Smoothies were created to save time, simplify the morning, and make breakfast easy and nutritious. They are packed with the balanced macronutrients you need to fuel your busy day and will keep you feeling full and energetic for hours.
Each box comes with 20 smoothie packs that are filled with frozen fruits and vegetables, nuts, and optional grass-fed collagen protein powder. Each shake is ready in less than 3 minutes and tastes absolutely delicious! The cost is less than $2.50 per serving and delivery is FREE.
Your SmoothieBox should arrive within a week after you place your order (in a 100% recyclable cooler) and you can cancel your subscription at any time. AND FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY:
- SmoothieBox is offering the option to purchase a one-time box, instead of only subscriptions. You may choose during checkout if you wish to have a monthly subscription or a one-time order.
- You can customize your box with only the flavors you want easily during checkout.
- My readers will get an additional discount on their order using the link and code below.
If you make this Banana Protein Shake recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Banana Protein Shake
- Add all ingredients to a blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.