This healthy Mixed Berry Protein Shake recipe is made with clean, nourishing ingredients like frozen mixed berries, banana, milk, natural protein powder, and honey. It makes a perfect post-workout shake or breakfast smoothie, because it is so effortless to make and is also refined sugar-free. Learn how to make a homemade protein shake with this quick and easy recipe!
You will love this refreshing berry protein smoothie recipe, because it is loaded with nutritious ingredients and it tastes amazing. It makes a high-protein breakfast that will kick-start your day and will keep you feeling full all morning long. It also makes an ideal post-workout shake that will refuel your energy and help your muscles to heal and build after exercising.
Mixed Berry Protein Shake Ingredients
Before we get to the recipe, let’s talk ingredients. To make this mixed berry protein smoothie, you will need:
- Protein Powder: This largely boosts the protein content of your smoothie. If you can, use a natural and organic protein powder that contains no additives, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, or preservatives. I love this one from Thrive Market.
- Frozen Mixed Berries: These not only give the smoothie delicious fruity flavor, they are also packed with vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. I highly recommend buying organic berries if you can.
- Banana: This gives your smoothie a rich and creamy consistency. It is also a great source of potassium and dietary fiber.
- Milk: This serves as the liquid base for the smoothie. I usually use full-fat dairy milk, but any type of milk will work in this smoothie.
- Honey: This adds natural and unrefined sweetness to the drink. Not all packaged honey is created equal, so I recommend using one that is 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered for optimal health benefits. I use this one from Thrive Market.
- Ice: This helps to thicken the smoothie. However, if you don’t have any ice on hand, just make your shake without it.
The ingredients I’ve linked to above can be ordered from Thrive Market, which is an online retailer that sells healthy, organic food at wholesale prices. I like to think of it like Amazon (online store) meets Costco (low, wholesale prices) meets Whole Foods (all nutritious, junk-free foods). If you want to purchase anything from them, you’ll need to get a Thrive Market membership. However, if you’re a reader of my website, you will get an exclusive bonus when you sign up:
Click here to get a FREE gift, up to $22 value, when you purchase a 1-month or 1-year risk-free Thrive Market membership!
How to Make a Berry Protein Shake
To make this homemade berry protein shake recipe, simply:
- Add all of the ingredients – milk, banana, ice, honey, frozen mixed berries, and protein powder – to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
Pro Tip: When adding your ingredients to your blender, always add the liquid (in this case, the milk) first near the blades. Doing this will help your blender to run a bit more smoothly whenever you are making a shake.
Possible Recipe Variations
This homemade protein shake recipe is very flexible with regards to variations. For example, you could…
- Use non-dairy milk: I usually use dairy milk when making protein shakes, but you can use any kind of milk you like. Unsweetened almond, oat, coconut, hemp, soy, or any other type of good-quality plant-based milk are all great options.
- Stir in some collagen: Adding collagen peptides to shakes and smoothies boosts their protein content even further. Collagen is also known to improve the condition of skin, hair, nails, joints, ligaments, and is great for gut health. I recommend using one that is all-natural, unflavored, and unsweetened. I recommend this one from Thrive Market.
- Add some spice: A bit of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla all taste amazing in smoothies.
- Use a different sweetener: Instead of honey, you can substitute another natural and unrefined sweetener, such as maple syrup or agave nectar. You can also throw in one or two pitted dates instead of using a liquid sweetener.
Those are just a few ideas, so feel free to get creative with any ingredient swaps or additions that you would like. 🙂
Click here to get exclusive discounts on my favorite healthy products and services!
More Protein Shake Recipes to Try
Looking for more protein smoothie inspiration? Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Green Protein Smoothie
- Easy Vanilla Protein Shake
- Coffee Protein Smoothie
- The Best Chocolate Protein Shake
- Homemade Whey Protein Shake
The Easiest Way to Make Homemade Protein Shakes
If having a morning smoothie or post-workout protein shake is a part of your daily routine, you need to check out SmoothieBox. SmoothieBox is a monthly protein smoothie delivery service that is organic, free of added sugars, and packed with nutrients.
Every box comes with 20 or 25 pre-portioned smoothie pouches that contain a blend of flash-frozen fruits, vegetables, and seeds. You also have a choice of either grass-fed collagen, chocolate whey, vanilla whey, chocolate vegan, or vanilla vegan protein powder to add to your box. SmoothieBox’s shake mixes are available in four tasty flavors – Cacao, Clementine, Green and Berry.
To make your own protein shake, just pour the contents of a smoothie pouch into your blender. Then add some protein powder, any liquid you like, and blend until smooth and creamy. Depending on the amount of blending liquid you add, each smoothie pouch will yield one 16-20 ounce smoothie, or two 8-12 ounce smoothies.
The cost ranges between $5.56 to $7.44 per smoothie and shipping is always FREE. You can choose to have a one-time order or a monthly subscription. If you opt to have a subscription, it can be paused, delayed or cancelled at any time. SmoothieBox also offers a 100% money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied. Finally, you will get a discount on your order if you use the link and code below:
Click here to get $15 off your first SmoothieBox with the code EASYEATS!
If you want to learn more about all of my favorite smoothie and protein shake delivery services (including SmoothieBox), check out these helpful posts on blog:
- The 7 Best Real Food Smoothie Delivery Companies
- The Top Protein Shake Delivery Services Online
- The 3 Best Organic Smoothie Delivery Companies
Alright, without further ado, here is the protein shake recipe! If you make this Mixed Berry Protein Shake, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Mixed Berry Protein Shake
- 1 cup milk, of choice
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
- 1 scoop plain (unflavored) protein powder
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Add all ingredients to a blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.
The best possible refreshing breakfast while the heat is on ! And so loaded with healthy ingredients ! Love it !!!
Hi Davorka! You are so sweet, thank you so much! 🙂