This healthy Mixed Berry Protein Shake recipe is made with clean, nourishing ingredients like frozen mixed berries, banana, milk, natural protein powder, and honey. It makes a perfect post-workout shake or breakfast smoothie, because it is so effortless to make and is also refined sugar-free. Learn how to make a homemade protein shake with this quick and easy recipe!
You will love this refreshing berry protein smoothie recipe, because it is loaded with nutritious ingredients and it tastes amazing. It makes a high-protein breakfast that will kick-start your day and will keep you feeling full all morning long. It also makes an ideal post-workout shake that will refuel your energy and help your muscles to heal and build after exercising.
Mixed Berry Protein Shake Ingredients
Before we get to the recipe, let’s talk ingredients. To make this mixed berry protein smoothie, you will need:
- Protein Powder: This largely boosts the protein content of your smoothie. If you can, use a natural and organic protein powder that contains no additives, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, or preservatives.
- Frozen Mixed Berries: These not only give the smoothie delicious fruity flavor, they are also packed with vitamins, fiber, and antioxidants. I highly recommend buying organic berries if you can.
- Banana: This gives your smoothie a rich and creamy consistency. It is also a great source of potassium and dietary fiber.
- Milk: This serves as the liquid base for the smoothie. I usually use full-fat dairy milk, but any type of milk will work in this smoothie.
- Honey: This adds natural and unrefined sweetness to the drink. Not all packaged honey is created equal, so I recommend using one that is 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered for optimal health benefits.
- Ice: This helps to thicken the smoothie. However, if you don’t have any ice on hand, just make your shake without it.
How to Make a Berry Protein Shake
To make this homemade berry protein shake recipe, simply:
- Add all of the ingredients (milk, banana, ice, honey, frozen mixed berries, and protein powder) to a blender.
- Blend until smooth, and then serve immediately.
Pro Tip: When adding your ingredients to your blender, always add the liquid (in this case, the milk) first near the blades. Doing this will help your blender to run a bit more smoothly whenever you are making a shake.
Possible Recipe Variations
This homemade protein shake recipe is very flexible with regards to variations. For example, you could…
- Use non-dairy milk: I usually use dairy milk when making protein shakes, but you can use any kind of milk you like. Unsweetened almond, oat, coconut, hemp, soy, or any other type of good-quality plant-based milk are all great options.
- Stir in some collagen: Adding collagen peptides to shakes and smoothies boosts their protein content even further. Collagen is also known to improve the condition of skin, hair, nails, joints, ligaments, and is great for gut health. I recommend using one that is all-natural, unflavored, and unsweetened.
- Add some spice: A bit of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla all taste amazing in smoothies.
- Use a different sweetener: Instead of honey, you can substitute another natural and unrefined sweetener, such as maple syrup or agave nectar. You can also throw in one or two pitted dates instead of using a liquid sweetener.
Those are just a few ideas, so feel free to get creative with any ingredient swaps or additions that you would like. 🙂
More Protein Shake Recipes
Looking for more homemade protein shake inspiration? Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Green Protein Smoothie
- Easy Vanilla Protein Shake
- Coffee Protein Smoothie
- The Best Chocolate Protein Shake
- Homemade Whey Protein Shake
The Easiest Way to Make Protein Shakes
If having a morning smoothie or post-workout protein shake is a part of your daily routine, I highly recommend signing up for a protein smoothie delivery service. Everything that you need to make delicious, nutrient-dense protein smoothies gets sent straight to your doorstep. If you want to learn more about all of my favorite smoothie and protein shake delivery services, check out these helpful posts:
- The 7 Best Real Food Smoothie Delivery Companies
- The Top 7 Protein Shake Delivery Services Online
- The Best Organic Smoothie Delivery Companies
Alright, without further ado, here is the recipe! If you make this Mixed Berry Protein Shake recipe, let me know. Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Mixed Berry Protein Shake
- Add all ingredients to a blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.