This nourishing, healthy Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake recipe is the perfect way to start your day or replenish your body after a workout. Made with clean ingredients like peanut butter, banana, natural protein powder, milk, honey, and vanilla. Learn how to make a homemade protein shake with this quick and simple recipe!
This delicious, energizing smoothie is made with simple everyday ingredients and is ready in just 5 minutes. It makes a portable, refined sugar-free breakfast that will kick-start your day and will keep you feeling full all morning. This recipe also makes an ideal workout shake that will refuel your energy and help your muscles to heal and build after exercising.
Are Protein Shakes Good for Weight Loss?
Yes! As long as protein shakes are made with healthy and clean ingredients, they are fantastic for weight loss. Protein shakes are a great source of protein (hence the name) and protein is an important nutrient for weight loss. Getting enough protein in your diet reduces your appetite, boosts your metabolism, and helps you lose body fat without losing muscle.
Is it Better to Drink a Protein Shake Before or After a Workout?
Research has shown that protein helps your muscles to repair and rebuild after exercise. As a result, many people drink protein shakes after their workouts to assist this process.
However, new studies suggest that the amount of protein you consume per day is more important than when you consume it, for increasing muscle strength and size. For that reason, you can choose which time you prefer or is most convenient for you. Personally, I always have a protein shake after exercise, but that’s just what works for me.
Does a Banana Go Well in a Protein Shake?
Absolutely! Bananas are a great source of energy for the body and are perfect for eating before or after a workout. Bananas also add a good dose of potassium, folate, antioxidants, and dietary fiber to a protein shake. In addition, the mild flavor of a banana pairs well with any flavor protein powder.
Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake Ingredients
Alright, so let’s talk ingredients. To make this homemade peanut butter banana protein shake, you will need:
- Protein Powder: This is used to boost the protein content of your smoothie immensely. If you can, use an organic protein powder that contains no additives, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, or preservatives. I use and a recommend this one from Thrive Market.
- Peanut Butter: This adds additional protein and nutty flavor. Not all nut butters are created equal, so I recommend using one that has no added sugars, unhealthy oils, or preservatives. I use this one from Thrive Market.
- Banana: This gives your smoothie a rich and creamy consistency. It is also a great source of potassium and dietary fiber.
- Milk: This serves as the liquid base for the smoothie. I usually use low-fat dairy milk.
- Honey: This adds natural and unrefined sweetness. Not all packaged honey is created equal, so I recommend using one that is 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered for optimal health benefits. I use this one from Thrive Market.
- Ice: This helps thicken the shake. Although, if I don’t have any ice in the freezer, I just make my protein shake without it.
- Vanilla extract: This adds a hint of sweet vanilla flavor. Make sure you use the real, natural stuff and not anything artificial.
The ingredients I’ve linked to above can be ordered from Thrive Market, which is an online retailer that sells healthy, organic food at wholesale prices. I like to think of it like Amazon (online store) meets Costco (low, wholesale prices) meets Whole Foods (all nutritious, junk-free foods). If you’re interested in purchasing anything from them, you’ll need to get a Thrive Market membership. However, if you’re a reader of my website, you will get an exclusive bonus when you sign up:
How to Make a Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake
This recipe could not be easier. To make this peanut butter banana protein shake recipe, simply:
- Add all of the ingredients – milk, banana, peanut butter, protein powder, ice, honey, and vanilla extract – to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and creamy, then serve right away.
Tips for Making this Homemade Protein Shake Recipe
Here are some pointers I have learned over the years about how to make the best homemade protein shakes:
- When adding your ingredients to your blender, always add the liquid (in this case, the milk) first near the blades. Doing this will help your blender to run a bit more easily whenever you are making a shake.
- Use a Vitamix Blender, because it is the BEST blender for making smoothies! A Vitamix is a high-powered blender that breaks up frozen fruit, vegetables, ice and any other dense ingredients into oblivion – with no chunks and easy clean-up. Best of all, the Vitamix blender is super versatile, so you can also use it to make soups, sauces, and homemade nut butters.
Possible Recipe Variations
This homemade protein shake recipe is very flexible with regards to variations. For example, feel free to…
- Use a different sweetener: Instead of honey, you can substitute another natural and unrefined sweetener, such as maple syrup or agave nectar. Alternatively, you can throw in one or two pitted dates instead of a liquid sweetener.
- Add some spice: A pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg tastes delicious in smoothies.
- Stir in some collagen: Adding collagen peptides to shakes and smoothies boosts their protein content even further. Collagen is also known to improve the condition of skin, hair, nails, joints, ligaments, and is great for gut health. I recommend using one that is all-natural, unflavored, and unsweetened. I use this one from Thrive Market.
- Swap in non-dairy milk: I generally use dairy milk when making shakes, but you can use any kind of milk you like. Unsweetened almond, coconut, soy, hemp, oat, or any other type of plant-based milk are all fantastic options.
Those are just a few suggestions, so feel free to experiment with whatever ingredient swaps or additions that you would like. 🙂
More Healthy Shake Recipes to Try
Looking for more easy-to-make smoothie inspiration? Here are some of my favorite recipes on the blog:
- Pear Banana Smoothie
- Breakfast Green Smoothie
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Protein Shake
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Banana Protein Shake
The Easiest Way to Make Protein Shakes
If you drink protein shakes on a regular basis, you need to try SmoothieBox. SmoothieBox is a protein shake kit delivery service that uses only the best, organic produce with no added sugar or artificial ingredients.
Each box comes with between 20 to 25 pre-portioned smoothie pouches that contain a blend of flash-frozen fruits, vegetables, and seeds. You also have a choice of either grass-fed collagen, vanilla whey, chocolate whey, vanilla vegan, or chocolate vegan protein powder to add to your box. SmoothieBox’s shake mixes are available in four flavors – Green, Berry, Clementine and Cacao.
To make a protein shake, empty the contents of a smoothie pouch into your blender. Then add a scoop of protein powder, any liquid you like, and blend until smooth. Depending on how much blending liquid you add, one smoothie pouch will yield one 16-20 ounce smoothie, or two 8-12 ounce smoothies.
The price ranges between $5.56 to $7.44 per smoothie and shipping is always free. You can choose to have a one-time order or a monthly subscription. If you choose to have a subscription, it can be paused, delayed or cancelled at any time. SmoothieBox also offers a 100% money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied. Lastly, my readers will get a discount on their order using the link and code below:
I do highly recommend SmoothieBox, but if you want learn more about my other favorite protein shake delivery services, check out this post I wrote: The 7 Best Protein Shake Delivery Companies. In that article, I review and discuss other delivery companies for protein smoothies (in addition to SmoothieBox) that you might like better.
If you make this Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake
- Add all ingredients to a blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.