This healthy Strawberry Protein Shake recipe is made with clean, nourishing ingredients like fresh strawberries, banana, milk, natural protein powder, and honey. It makes an ideal post-workout shake or breakfast smoothie, because it is refined sugar-free and is so effortless. Learn how to make a homemade protein shake with this quick and easy recipe!
You are going to love this strawberry protein smoothie recipe, because it is packed with nutritious ingredients and is so simple to make. It makes a protein-rich breakfast that will jump-start your day and will keep you feeling full all morning. It is also an ideal post-workout shake that will refuel your energy and help your muscles to heal and build after exercising.
Are Protein Shakes Good for Weight Loss?
Yes! As long as protein shakes are made with clean, junk-free ingredients, they are superb for weight loss. Protein shakes are a rich source of protein (hence the name), which is an important nutrient for weight loss. Getting an adequate amount of protein in your diet boosts your metabolism, reduces your appetite and helps you lose body fat without losing muscle.
Is it Better to Drink a Protein Shake Before or After a Workout?
A number of studies show that protein helps your muscles to repair and rebuild after exercise. For that reason, many people drink protein shakes after their workouts to aid this process.
However, recent research suggests the amount of protein you consume per day is more important than when you consume it for gaining muscle mass. Therefore, you can choose which time you prefer or is most convenient for you. Personally, I always opt to have a protein shake after hitting the gym, but that’s just what works for me.
Strawberry Protein Shake Ingredients
Before we get to the recipe, let’s discuss ingredients. To make this strawberry protein smoothie, you will need:
- Protein Powder: This boosts the protein content of your smoothie immensely. If you can, use a natural and organic protein powder that contains no additives, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, or preservatives. I love and use this one from Thrive Market.
- Milk: This serves as the liquid base for the smoothie. I usually use full-fat organic dairy milk.
- Strawberries: These not only give the smoothie delicious fruity flavor, they are also packed with vitamin C, fiber, and antioxidants. Either fresh or frozen strawberries will work just fine in this recipe, and buy organic if you can.
- Banana: This gives your smoothie a rich and creamy consistency. It is also a great source of potassium and dietary fiber.
- Honey: This adds natural and unrefined sweetness. Not all packaged honey is created equal, so I recommend using one that is 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered for optimal health benefits. I use this one from Thrive Market.
- Ice: This helps thicken the shake. Although, if I don’t have any ice in the freezer, I just make my protein shake without it.
The ingredients I’ve linked to above can be ordered from Thrive Market, which is an online retailer that sells healthy, organic food at wholesale prices. I like to think of it like Amazon (online store) meets Costco (low, wholesale prices) meets Whole Foods (all nutritious, junk-free foods). If you’re interested in purchasing anything from them, you’ll need to get a Thrive Market membership. However, if you’re a reader of my website, you will get an exclusive bonus when you sign up:
How to Make a Strawberry Protein Shake
To make this homemade strawberry protein shake recipe, simply:
- Add all of the ingredients – milk, banana, ice, honey, strawberries, and protein powder – to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
Pro Tip: When adding your ingredients to your blender, always add the liquid (in this case, the milk) first near the blades. Doing this will help your blender to run a bit more smoothly whenever you are making a shake.
Possible Recipe Variations
This homemade protein shake recipe is very flexible with regards to variations. For example, feel free to…
- Swap in non-dairy milk: I generally use dairy milk when making shakes, but you can use any kind of milk you like. Unsweetened almond, coconut, soy, hemp, oat, or any other type of plant-based milk are all terrific options.
- Add some spice: A dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, or vanilla all taste amazing in smoothies.
- Use a different sweetener: Rather than honey, you can substitute another natural and unrefined sweetener, such as maple syrup or agave nectar. Alternatively, you can throw in one or two pitted dates instead of a liquid sweetener.
- Stir in some collagen: Adding collagen peptides to shakes and smoothies boosts their protein content even further. Collagen is also known to improve the condition of skin, hair, nails, joints, ligaments, and is great for gut health. I recommend using one that is all-natural, unflavored, and unsweetened. I use this one from Thrive Market.
Those are just a few suggestions, so feel free to experiment with whatever ingredient swaps or additions that sound good to you. 🙂
More Protein Shake Recipes to Try
Looking for more protein shake inspiration? Here are some of my favorite recipes:
- Homemade Banana Protein Shake
- Pumpkin Protein Shake
- The Best Vanilla Protein Smoothie
- Easy Chocolate Protein Shake
- Vegan Protein Smoothie
The Easiest Way to Make Protein Shakes
If having a morning smoothie or post-workout protein shake is a part of your regular routine, I highly recommend checking out SmoothieBox. SmoothieBox is a monthly protein smoothie delivery service that is organic, nutrient-dense and free of added sugars.
Each box comes with either 20 or 25 pre-portioned smoothie pouches that contain a nutritionally-balanced blend of flash-frozen fruits, vegetables, and seeds. You also have a choice of either grass-fed collagen, chocolate whey, vanilla whey, chocolate vegan, or vanilla vegan protein powder to add to your box. SmoothieBox’s shake mixes are available in four delicious flavors – Cacao, Green, Clementine and Berry.
To make a protein shake, simply pour the contents of a smoothie pouch into your blender. Then add a scoop of protein powder, any liquid you like, and blend until smooth. Depending on the amount of blending liquid you add, each smoothie pouch will yield one 16-20 ounce smoothie, or two 8-12 ounce smoothies.
The price ranges between $5.56 to $7.44 per smoothie and shipping is always FREE. Your SmoothieBox should arrive within a week after you place your order in an insulated, 100% recyclable cooler. You can choose to have a one-time order or a monthly subscription. If you choose to have a subscription, it can be paused, delayed or cancelled at any time. SmoothieBox also offers a 100% money-back guarantee if you’re not satisfied. In addition, my readers get a discount on their order using the link and code below:
If you make this Strawberry Protein Shake recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Strawberry Protein Shake
- Add all ingredients to a blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.