This Tomato Avocado Toast recipe is super flavorful and simple to make. It is ideal for breakfast, snacking, or even a light lunch. It is made with toasted bread slices, mashed avocado, lemon juice, salt and pepper, tomatoes, and balsamic vinaigrette. Learn how to make homemade tomato avocado toast with this quick and easy recipe.
There are so many ways you can prepare avocado toast, and this tomato avocado toast is one of my favorite ways because is so simple and tasty. This pretty little number is made with the usual toasted bread topped with mashed avocado, but I like to amp up the flavor by mixing in a squeeze of lemon juice and a little salt and pepper with the avocado. The toast is then topped with halved cherry tomatoes and a light drizzle of balsamic vinaigrette to finish it off perfectly.
How to Make Tomato Avocado Toast
To make this homemade tomato avocado toast recipe, simply:
- Toast the bread: Toast up some bread slices until golden brown.
- Prepare the avocado mixture: Mash up an avocado with some lemon juice in a bowl, then season with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Assemble your avocado toast: Spread the mashed avocado onto the toast, then top with sliced cherry (or grape) tomatoes and balsamic vinaigrette.
How easy is that?! This is truly a fast and simple meal that is absolutely bursting with flavor.
The Benefits of Eating Avocados and Tomatoes Together
Pairing certain foods together, in a concept known as food synergy, helps to maximise their nutritional and health benefits. Combining the right foods can increase the body’s ability to absorb their antioxidants, fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
One of these super-combinations is tomato and avocado. Tomatoes are rich in lycopene, an antioxidant known as carotenoid, which gives the tomato its red color. Consuming it with a healthy fat such as avocado makes it easier for the body to absorb lycopene, as fats make carotenoids more bioavailable.
Some of the benefits of lycopene include:
- Reduction of inflammation
- Cancer prevention
- Prevention of heart disease and blood vessel problems
- Prevention of age-related diseases such as cataracts
So now you can feel even better about eating this tomato avocado toast recipe! 🙂
Tips for Storing Avocados and Tomatoes
Here are a couple of pointers I have learned through experience about how to store both avocados and tomatoes:
- How to store avocados: Store whole avocados at room temperature. If they are very soft and ripe, you can prevent them from spoiling for a few extra days by putting them in the fridge, but you’ll pay for it a bit in flavor. It’s better just to keep avocados in your pantry or on the counter and enjoy them right away.
- How to store tomatoes: Store tomatoes at room temperature. Tomatoes begin to lose their flavor and texture when put in the fridge, turning mealy, mushy, and flavorless. For best results, store tomatoes in your pantry or leave them right out on the counter.
What to Serve with Tomato Avocado Toast
If you plan on having this for lunch or dinner, I recommend serving it with a bowl of soup for a more satisfying meal. Here are some of my favorite soup recipes that compliment the flavors of this recipe very well:
For this Tomato Avocado Toast recipe, I recommend:
Here are a few items that will ensure this avocado toast recipe turns out perfect:
- Primal Kitchen Balsamic Vinaigrette – Not all salad dressings are created equal, so always opt for one that is made with healthy oils and clean, junk-free ingredients.
- Citrus Juicer – If you cook with a lot of citrus, a sturdy juicer is a must. This one works for both lemons and limes and will squeeze out every last drop of juice like a pro. Worth every penny.
If you make this Tomato Avocado Toast recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Tomato Avocado Toast
- 2 slices bread
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinaigrette
- Toast bread slices until golden brown.
- Halve and pit the avocado. Scoop the flesh into a bowl and mash. Mix in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the avocado mixture evenly onto the bread slices.
- Divide cherry tomatoes between slices and arrange on top.
- Drizzle with balsamic dressing and serve immediately.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.