This healthy Green Protein Shake recipe is made with clean, nourishing ingredients like spinach, pineapple, banana, natural protein powder, Greek yogurt and honey. It makes an ideal post-workout shake or breakfast smoothie, because it is refined sugar-free and is so effortless to make. Learn how to make a homemade protein shake with this quick and easy recipe!
You are going to love this green protein shake recipe, because it is made entirely with nutritious ingredients and is so simple to make. It makes a protein-rich breakfast that will keep you feeling satiated all morning. It will also help refuel your energy and help your muscles to build and heal after exercising.
Green Protein Shake Ingredients
To make this green protein smoothie recipe, you will need the following ingredients (amounts included in the recipe card below):
- Spinach: This is an excellent ingredient to include in shakes, because it is packed with a ton of vitamins, minerals and nutrients.
- Pineapple: This is the magical ingredient that naturally sweetens and flavors the shake so well that you can’t even taste the spinach.
- Banana: This gives your smoothie a rich and creamy consistency. It is also a great source of potassium and dietary fiber.
- Water: This serves as the liquid base for the smoothie.
- Protein Powder: This boosts the protein content of your smoothie immensely. If you can, use a natural and organic protein powder that contains no additives, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, or preservatives. I love and use this one from Thrive Market.
- Greek yogurt: This adds richness, creaminess and additional protein. I recommend using plain and unsweetened yogurt only, because a lot of flavored yogurts contain a ton of sugar.
- Honey: This adds natural and unrefined sweetness. Not all packaged honey is created equal, so I recommend using one that is 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered for optimal health benefits. I use this one from Thrive Market.
The ingredients I’ve linked to above can be ordered from Thrive Market, which is an online retailer that sells healthy, organic food at wholesale prices. I like to think of it like Amazon (online store) meets Costco (low, wholesale prices) meets Whole Foods (all nutritious, junk-free foods). If you’re interested in purchasing anything from them, you’ll need to get a Thrive Market membership. However, if you’re a reader of my website, you will get an exclusive bonus when you sign up:
How to Make a Green Protein Shake
To make this homemade green protein smoothie recipe, simply:
- Add all of the ingredients – water, Greek yogurt, honey, spinach, pineapple, banana, and protein powder – to a blender.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
Pro Tip: When adding your ingredients to your blender, always add the liquid (in this case, the water) first near the blades. Doing this will help your blender to run a bit more smoothly whenever you are making a shake.
More Protein Shake Recipes to Try
Looking for more protein smoothie inspiration? Here are some of my favorite recipes on the blog:
- Strawberry Protein Shake
- Chocolate Protein Shake
- Vegan Protein Shake
- How to Make a Homemade Protein Shake
- Vanilla Protein Shake
Are Protein Shakes Good for Weight Loss?
Absolutely! As long as protein shakes are made with clean, junk-free ingredients, they are wonderful for weight loss. Protein shakes are a fantastic source of protein (hence the name), which is an important nutrient for weight loss as it boosts your metabolism, reduces your appetite and helps you lose body fat without losing muscle.
Should You Drink a Protein Shake Before or After a Workout?
Many studies indicate that protein helps your muscles to repair and rebuild after exercise. Therefore, a lot of people drink protein shakes after their workouts to aid this process. However, recent research suggests the amount of protein you consume per day is more important than when you consume it for gaining muscle mass. Therefore, you can choose which time you prefer or is most convenient for you. Personally, I like to drink a protein shake after lifting weights.
The Easiest Way to Make Homemade Protein Shakes
If having a morning smoothie or protein shake is a part of your regular routine, I highly recommend checking out Smoothie Box. Smoothie Box is a protein shake kit delivery service that is organic, nutrient-dense and free of added sugars.
Each box comes with 20 smoothie pouches that contain a nutritionally-balanced blend of fruits, vegetables, seeds, and your choice of either grass-fed collagen, chocolate whey, vanilla whey, chocolate vegan, or vanilla vegan protein powder. Smoothie Box’s shake mixes are available in four delicious flavors – Berry, Green, Cacao and Clementine.
The cost is less than $6 per serving and shipping is always free! You can choose to have a one-time order or a monthly subscription. If you choose to have a subscription, it can be paused, delayed or cancelled at any time. In addition, if you make an order today, you will get this awesome deal that Smoothie Box is offering exclusively to my readers:
If you make this Green Protein Shake recipe, let me know! Leave a comment with a star rating ★ below, because I love hearing from you! ♡
Green Protein Shake
- Add all ingredients to a blender in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and serve immediately.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.