This luxurious, subtly-spiced Curried Pumpkin Coconut Soup recipe will warm you from the inside out. It is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, paleo and ready to eat in just 20 minutes!
This flavorful, comforting soup is ideal for chilly weather and evenings when you want something simple and healthy. Pumpkin is extremely nutritious because it is rich in Vitamin A, which is important for keeping your eyesight sharp. Pumpkin is also a good source of fiber, which keeps you feeling full for longer on fewer calories. Coconut milk gives the soup a creamy consistency without the use of heavy cream. A touch of curry powder gives it the slightest hint of warm Indian spices without being overly spicy.
This soup has a silky texture because all of the ingredients get blended together until smooth. I prefer to use an immersion blender to puree the soup, but you can use a regular/traditional blender instead. I always like to mention these two safety precautions when using a traditional blender to blend hot liquids:
- Blend the hot liquid in batches and only fill the blender up until it is halfway full. Any more than that can cause a serious accident.
- Before you start blending, remove the center insert in the lid of your blender. Then, place your hand over top the lid with a dish towel and keep most of the hole covered. This is done to allow the hot steam to escape and prevent any splashes while the blender is running.
This recipe would be great for entertaining and taking along to fall and winter gatherings. Since it is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo and vegan, it is suitable for many people following special diets. I love the rich consistency of the soup, but if it is too thick for you, feel free to add more broth to thin it out. If you or your guests are not vegetarian or vegan, feel free to substitute chicken broth for the vegetable broth in the recipe.
If you want more easy and delicious recipes like this one, sign up for my email list! All subscribers get a copy of my Simple Suppers eCookbook, plus new recipes delivered straight to their inbox for FREE!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut milk
- Optional garnishes: Extra coconut milk, pumpkin seeds
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes until softened. Add garlic, ginger and curry powder and cook for 1 - 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Stir in the pumpkin purée, broth and coconut milk. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using an immersion blender, puree soup until smooth. Alternatively, transfer to a traditional blender and puree in batches until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot, garnished with a drizzle of coconut milk and pumpkin seeds if using.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.