The Best Chicken and Rice Soup (Easy One-Pot Recipe)
This One-Pot Chicken and Rice Soup recipe is ideal for sick days and colder weather. A hearty soup that eats like a meal and is naturally gluten-free.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat olive oil in large pot set over medium heat. Add onion and carrots and cook for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
Stir in broth, water, rice, bay leaf and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until rice is cooked.
Stir in chicken and peas. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes until heated through.
Remove bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- For the chicken in this recipe, you can use rotisserie or any leftover cooked chicken. Alternatively, you can cook and dice two small chicken breasts, which would yield about two cups of meat.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months.
Calories: 253calories | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 99mg | Potassium: 372mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3530IU | Vitamin C: 7.7mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 1.4mg