Creamy Homemade Macaroni and Cheese
The ultimate comfort food. After trying this easy Creamy Homemade Mac and Cheese recipe, you will never go back to the boxed stuff again!
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 cups macaroni (elbow) pasta
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Cook the pasta in a large pot of salted boiling water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once butter has melted, whisk in flour and cook the mixture for about 2 minutes, whisking continuously, until it turns golden brown.
Gradually whisk the milk into the flour mixture. Cook while whisking for about 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in cheese until smooth. Add the pasta to the cheese sauce and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
- To make this recipe healthier and higher in fiber, use whole wheat or whole grain pasta.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to five days or in the freezer for up to three months.
Calories: 600calories | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 20g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 95mg | Sodium: 506mg | Potassium: 361mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 1147IU | Calcium: 570mg | Iron: 1mg