This simple, flourless Warm Apple Crisp recipe features tender, juicy apples under a crunchy brown sugar-oat topping. Bursting with sweet apple and cinnamon-scented flavor, it is the perfect fuss-free fall dessert.
Apple crisp is a blissfully tasty dessert that is a traditional favorite. With a soft, slightly saucy baked apple filling covered with a crispy brown sugar-oat topping, it is the perfect combination of tender and crunchy.
Apple crisp is an especially popular dessert in autumn, when apple season is at its peak. This recipe will work with just about any apple variety, so feel free to use whatever you have on hand. Although Granny Smith apples are generally thought of as the go-to baking apple, I personally prefer to use sweeter, less tart varieties such as Gala and Golden Delicious for the best flavor.
Not only is Apple Crisp delicious, it is one of the fastest, easiest desserts to throw together before dinner. All you do is toss some sliced apples with lemon juice and vanilla, spread them in a baking dish, sprinkle with the brown sugar-oat topping and pop the dish in the oven. It will bake in the perfect amount of time to serve fresh out of the oven when you are ready for dessert.
To take this dish to restaurant-level, serve it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream. Since this recipe uses no flour, just use certified gluten-free oats to make this a gluten-free dessert.
FOR THIS WARM APPLE CRISP RECIPE, I RECOMMEND:
Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set – I love the versatility of this set, because you can use the same dish to bake, serve and store your food.
Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons – This is the best set of measuring spoons I have ever purchased. They are super durable, inexpensive and the quality can’t be beat.
- 4 apples, cored and chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup rolled oats (GF if needed)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter, softened to room temperature
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine apples, lemon juice and vanilla. Spread apple mixture evenly in a medium baking dish.
- Combine oats, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Cut the butter into the mixture with your fingers until it forms a crumbly consistency. Sprinkle oat mixture evenly over apples.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.