Thin strips of sweet potato tossed with a delicious blend of spices, then baked to perfection. This Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries recipe makes a tasty side, appetizer or snack that is paleo, vegan and so simple to make.
Just 6 ingredients and roughly 30 minutes are all you need to make this super-easy dish. Because sweet potatoes are naturally sweet, they beckon to be tossed in anything savory and spicy. A blend of paprika, garlic powder, cumin and cayenne is the perfect combination of spices to balance out the flavor of sweet potatoes.
My favorite way to have sweet potato fries is alongside a hearty burger, but these really are perfect on their own as a snack or appetizer. They are sweet, salty and spicy all in one bite. Since they are not deep-fried, they are much healthier for you than what is usually served in restaurants. This recipe instead calls for them to be baked in the oven until crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside.
Tips to ensure your fries turn out perfect:
- Cut the sweet potatoes into uniform strips. This ensures even baking, because thicker fries take more time to cook through than thinner ones do. I always leave the skin on because it is a good source of fiber and of course, it’s less work. 🙂
- Space out the sweet potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet so that they are not touching. If the pan is overcrowded, the sweet potatoes will steam rather than roast and will get soggy rather than crispy. If you don’t have a large enough baking sheet, just use two baking sheets.
- Flip the fries over halfway through baking time to ensure even baking on all sides.
- If you find that your fries aren’t crispy enough when they are done baking, you can broil them in the oven for a few minutes to crisp right them up! Important: Make sure you keep an eye on them, so that they don’t burn.
For this Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries Recipe, I recommend:
Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons – This is the best set of measuring spoons I have ever purchased. They are super durable, inexpensive and the quality can’t be beat.
Glass Mixing Bowls – This set is perfect for combining ingredients. The bowls are so easy to store (as they nest together) and they are very affordable.
This Spicy Baked Sweet Potato Fries recipe makes a tasty side, appetizer, or snack that is paleo, vegan and so simple to make.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, sliced into ¼-inch thick strips
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Season generously with salt and pepper and toss until sweet potatoes are evenly coated.
- Spread sweet potatoes out in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
Bake for 25 – 30 minutes, turning over halfway through baking time, until tender and slightly browned. Serve warm.
If your fries aren't crispy enough when they are done baking, you can broil them in the oven for a few minutes to make them crispier. Just make sure you watch them closely, so that they don't burn.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.