This Quick Indian Chicken Curry recipe is hearty, flavorful and ready to eat in just 30 minutes. Serve with rice or naan bread for a satisfying meal.
You are going to love this thick, rich curry made with tender, juicy pieces of chicken. It is ideal for busy weeknights because it delivers maximum flavor in minimal time.
Normally when you read Indian recipes, they include a large number of spices in the ingredient list that many people don’t readily have on hand. So, I developed a recipe that uses curry powder, which contains a bunch of fragrant spices that have been ground up and mixed together in one handy package.
To add creaminess and to tone down the spice a bit in this recipe, this recipe uses evaporated milk rather than heavy cream. Evaporated milk adds almost the same creaminess, but with much less of the fat and calories than heavy cream.
Serve this rich, flavorful curry over steamed basmati rice or with warm naan bread for a complete, satisfying dinner when you are in the mood for something exotic.
If you want more easy and delicious recipes like this one, sign up for my email list! You will get all my new recipes delivered straight to your inbox, plus a copy of my Simple Suppers eCookbook for FREE!
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, divided
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 (15-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- In a medium bowl, add the chicken, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of curry powder. Toss to coat the chicken. Set aside to marinate while you prepare the other ingredients.
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Cook the onion for 4 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and cook for 3 - 4 minutes until almost cooked through. Stir in the crushed tomatoes and remaining tablespoon of curry powder.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Stir in evaporated milk. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with rice or naan bread.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.