This 20-minute homemade marinara sauce recipe is made with simple, classic ingredients and is delightfully easy to prepare.
Forget store-bought jars of red sauce — homemade marinara tastes so much better. This versatile tomato sauce takes minutes to prepare and is made with ingredients you most likely already have on hand in the pantry.
The uses for marinara sauce are endless – serve it spooned over freshly cooked pasta, spread over pizza, layered in a lasagna or as a dipping sauce for garlic bread.
If you want more easy and delicious recipes like this one, sign up for my email list! You will get a copy of my Simple Suppers eCookbook, plus my new recipes delivered straight to your inbox, all for FREE!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook for about 5 minutes until softened. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, basil, salt, sugar, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes and black pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 8 - 10 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened. Season with additional salt, pepper or sugar to taste if needed.
© Everyday Easy Eats. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please do not use any of my recipes, text or images without prior permission.